Breakout NBA players this year?

Machiavelli

don't feel like arguing with you Bump, Timely or whoever or whatever you decide to call yourself nowadays.

Your opinion means zero to me....actually less than zero.

arguing? I literally responded with my opinion on those guys. isnt that why you start threads like this? To get other opinions? Or are we just supposed to agree and pat people on the back?

My lord... it's now arguing to post a rebuttal to an opinion on the forums. So you post just looking for common trains of thought... got it

No name calling. No comments on the posters. Just a comment on a post. Just hilarious.

Sorry nba. I agree with everything you think. You're the man.

arguing? I literally responded with my opinion on those guys. isnt that why you start threads like this? To get other opinions? Or are we just supposed to agree and pat people on the back?

My lord... it's now arguing to post a rebuttal to an opinion on the forums. So you post just looking for common trains of thought... got it

No name calling. No comments on the posters. Just a comment on a post. Just hilarious.

Sorry nba. I agree with everything you think. You're the man.

:hat

You clearly don't follow PHX basketball.

I agree it wouldnt make sense to start Warren but jackson hasn't shown much improvement.

A guy I forgot that jackson reminded me of that I love this year is Jonathan Isaac. I think he might be the NBA's most improved player this year and think he's one of the few guys that if his offensive game continues to come around could enter that upper echelon of stars. If he stays healthy he's already a top 10 defender in the nba.

I agree it wouldnt make sense to start Warren but jackson hasn't shown much improvement.

A guy I forgot that jackson reminded me of that I love this year is Jonathan Isaac. I think he might be the NBA's most improved player this year and think he's one of the few guys that if his offensive game continues to come around could enter that upper echelon of stars. If he stays healthy he's already a top 10 defender in the nba.

Josh Jackson is Shawn Marion.  

Watch and see it play out.  Ugly offensive game.  But he will bring so much more to the court in the open floor and on defense. 

Josh Jackson is Shawn Marion.

Watch and see it play out. Ugly offensive game. But he will bring so much more to the court in the open floor and on defense.

marion was always a pretty efficient offensive player despite how ugly it all looked though. I think jackson is a better raw athlete and marion played really well off the ball while Jackson gets most of his production on the ball. He's still really young but I didnt like Jackson in college either.

Funny story, i just hired a "big suns fan" this week - as he calls himself. Probably wont last long with the company with that losing attitude lol

I'll say...

Caris Lavert - this is the real breakout star for Brooklyn - not dinwiddie. The concern with lavert is staying healthy but he has a complete nba game paired with + athleticism.

John Collins - this would be more of a slam dunk 10 years ago in the NBA but still, Collins is a production machine. Great rebounder and rim protector with ++ footwork in the paint.

It's impossible to make one of these lists with Jamal Murray too. Murray has a real chance of leading the nuggets in scoring and dropping 22+ a night while being one of the leagues biggest threat from outside.

Big fan of Murray and I agree.

You clearly don't follow PHX basketball.

are the suns really gonna start canaan at the 1 this year?

I'm gonna say this despite no real sample... I was wrong in regards to Ayton vs Bagley. Bagley doesnt have the tools to play at a consistently top line level in the NBA. Ayton has the tools but I'm sure not sure he'll have the consistency. He's a better talent than bagley though, I was wrong about that.

I'm gonna stay out on the limb and say Doncic and Sexton will be the best players in this class though.

Another guy who, if he stays healthy, should be a lot of fun to watch is exum. The concern with him is minutes, but Exum is better for the Jazz in the long run this year than Rubio. Health a big concern but the talent is there and the speed of the game has finally come back to him. He started showing flashes late last year and had a big camp and preseason.

are the suns really gonna start canaan at the 1 this year?

I'm gonna say this despite no real sample... I was wrong in regards to Ayton vs Bagley. Bagley doesnt have the tools to play at a consistently top line level in the NBA. Ayton has the tools but I'm sure not sure he'll have the consistency. He's a better talent than bagley though, I was wrong about that.

I'm gonna stay out on the limb and say Doncic and Sexton will be the best players in this class though.

To your first question, I don't think so.  They didn't have much choice tonight so that's what they rolled out there.  Crawford wasn't ready yet and they decided it's best to not play Booker at the 1.  Which I agree with.

I think a trade for a point guard still might happen.  They have been shopping for one but the price has been too high.  They aren't willing to give up a first round pick for somebody's back up point guard.  And they shouldn't.  It's actually the reason McDonough was fired last week.  I guess Sarver had enough when he traded away the only starting caliber one on the roster (Knight) and never made a move to compensate for it.  

Regarding Ayton, small sample size indeed.  But I agree.  He has the talent to play at a top level in this league.  And his ceiling is very high with his skill set. 

I didn't like the Ariza signing at first but I think it will turn out to be a good move.  And it's only for a year.

He brings a veteran presence this young team really needs.  And he can knock down some 3's and play defense. 

PHX will have a shit ton of cap room next season.  They can be major players in the FA market.  And they still have some decent assets in the way of draft picks they can move to make things happen via trades. 

To your first question, I don't think so. They didn't have much choice tonight so that's what they rolled out there. Crawford wasn't ready yet and they decided it's best to not play Booker at the 1. Which I agree with.

I think a trade for a point guard still might happen. They have been shopping for one but the price has been too high. They aren't willing to give up a first round pick for somebody's back up point guard. And they shouldn't. It's actually the reason McDonough was fired last week. I guess Sarver had enough when he traded away the only starting caliber one on the roster (Knight) and never made a move to compensate for it.

Regarding Ayton, small sample size indeed. But I agree. He has the talent to play at a top level in this league. And his ceiling is very high with his skill set.

I actually think they should force the one onto Booker. They have nothing to lose this year and bookers biggest weakness - by far - is creating for other people. He needs to learn to involve his teammates more - especially now that they're not all terrible players like his first couple years. Make him run sets and learn offenses more than just being the end option.

Ftr, jamal Crawford is absolutely not a 1 and theres ZERO chance the suns are expecting him to run an offense as a starter on this team. They need to sign someone because canaan cant play the 1 in the nba as a starter.

I didn't like the Ariza signing at first but I think it will turn out to be a good move. And it's only for a year.

He brings a veteran presence this young team really needs. And he can knock down some 3's and play defense.

PHX will have a shit ton of cap room next season. They can be major players in the FA market. And they still have some decent assets in the way of draft picks they can move to make things happen via trades.

not just a veteran presence but an elite perimeter defender to help with the defensive progression of booker and josh. Ariza can be a drag offensively but the guy can flat out defend on the outside vs anyone. That's why it was a huge loss for the rockets. Him and capela were the only interested defenders last year.

• 4 weeks later...