Boxing is dead, eh?

KingRevolver

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two people say it, dipshit.

But you know EVERYTHING.

One of my first real boxing memories was the Ali vs Foreman fight, and my recollection is the entire world was overjoyed when Ali won. Foreman was seen as a hulking brute, and Ali was in the role of the beloved underdog.

Pretty sure that’s the way history has portrayed that fight as well.

One of my first real boxing memories was the Ali vs Foreman fight, and my recollection is the entire world was overjoyed when Ali won. Foreman was seen as a hulking brute, and Ali was in the role of the beloved underdog.

Pretty sure that’s the way history has portrayed that fight as well.

In between the KR/MF virtual slugfest, BFO dropping some nuggets!

The media reported at the time that many Mexicans hated Oscar. 

Wasn't Mexican enough I guess. 

I was hated for liking Oscar back in those days.  

Now, of course when I say hated... it's hyperbole.  [This needs to be explained to Monkey because he takes everything literally.]

Anyway, Mexicans (from Mexico but living here) have never liked Oscar.  Chicanos (AKA Mexican-Americans) were split on Oscar.

His biggest fanbase was actually women.  They loved him because he was "cute."  

The point is that he did have a lot of people who liked him, and a lot of people who didn't like him.   But you can't tell Monkey that... he knows everything.

(MonkeyTalk:  I like Oscar, Everyone likes Oscar.)

I didn't know a single person that wanted to see Tyson lose to Buster Douglass. Not one.

But everyone hates the champ. It has nothing to do with being a giant piece of shit. Just ask Mayweather and his dumbfuck lackey.

Actually I’m guilty here, always hated Tyson and was happy when Douglas beat him. Was a huge Holyfield fan and was overjoyed at the result of the first fight. Easily one of my happiest moments in sports.

I think in due time Floyd will grow up.  But it's once he gets humbled. 

If/when that happens the tide can change and he can change the perception.  

He's got too much riding on his persona right now to do that.  It's all about the money right now. 

In a sense, it's genius to play up the persona. 

See Kanye, Trump, etc. 

Actually I’m guilty here, always hated Tyson and was happy when Douglas beat him. Was a huge Holyfield fan and was overjoyed at the result of the first fight. Easily one of my happiest moments in sports.

Yeah, but Monkey didn't know one, NOT ONE, person who wanted Tyson to lose that fight.  Therefore, no one wanted him to lose.

Haven't you guys been paying attention to the MonkeyTalk?

I think in due time Floyd will grow up. But it's once he gets humbled.

If/when that happens the tide can change and he can change the perception.

He's got too much riding on his persona right now to do that. It's all about the money right now.

His persona?

He isn’t beating women for popularity.

He’s just a piece of shit.

In a sense, it's genius to play up the persona. 

See Kanye, Trump, etc. 

Genius if all you care about is money.  

Maybe not so much if you care about integrity and those sorts of things.  

I'm the least judgmental person in the world.  Far from perfect.  Just would like to see an ounce of some good in Floyd you could cheer for.  Just havent ever seen it.