Boxing is dead, eh?

KingRevolver

MonkeyTalks and Grandpappy tales would be excellent spinoff series. 

Thinking of doing my own cartoon called MonkeyTalk.  First scene:

Monkey:  Mayweather sucks.

Grandpappy:  Ali was great.

Monkey:  Everyone liked him back then?

Grandpappy:  Well, yeah, I liked him, so everyone liked him, too, you dope!

Monkey:  True.

*service dog barks in agreement*

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Genius if all you care about is money.  

Maybe not so much if you care about integrity and those sorts of things.  

I'm the least judgmental person in the world.  Far from perfect.  Just would like to see an ounce of some good in Floyd you could cheer for.  Just havent ever seen it. 

Hey fair enough. 

But in reading business, the culture and climate, it can be argued that it was wise for him to act like such in order to obtain ridiculous $$$ for his fights. 

Right or wrong morally, it worked out for him. I would agree with the assessments made in this thread regarding what kind of person he must be given his prior actions, but just saying there is still a genius in maximizing persona in this era.

Yeah, but Monkey didn't know one, NOT ONE, person who wanted Tyson to lose that fight. Therefore, no one wanted him to lose.

Haven't you guys been paying attention to the MonkeyTalk?

You guys are tards. Doesn’t matter if every boxing fan wanted to see Tyson lose.

Less boxing fans today than in Tyson’s era. That’s it.

Boxing is dead. Mostly just minority interest now.

Thinking of doing my own cartoon called MonkeyTalk. First scene:

Monkey: Mayweather sucks.

Grandpappy: Ali was great.

Monkey: Everyone liked him back then?

Grandpappy: Well, yeah, I liked him, so everyone liked him, too, you dope!

Monkey: True.

*service dog barks in agreement*

You should be embarrassed that you keep going here.

Weak.

Actually I’m guilty here, always hated Tyson and was happy when Douglas beat him. Was a huge Holyfield fan and was overjoyed at the result of the first fight. Easily one of my happiest moments in sports.

Agree with you about Holyfield, pal.  Guy was always a class act.  Good ol' mama's boy from the South.  Always tried to do everything right.  He was the antithesis of Tyson.

You guys are tards. Doesn’t matter if every boxing fan wanted to see Tyson lose.

Less boxing fans today than in Tyson’s era. That’s it.

Boxing is dead. Mostly just minority interest now.

It’s a niche sport now House.

Not sure how old you are, but track and field was huge when I was a kid. Those guys were huge names back then, now no one cares.

Hell bowling was on network tv back then and a lot of those guys were known.

Boxing will always be around, it’s just way, way down the list now.

It’s a niche sport now House.

Not sure how old you are, but track and field was huge when I was a kid. Those guys were huge names back then, now no one cares.

Hell bowling was on network tv back then and a lot of those guys were known.

Boxing will always be around, it’s just way, way down the list now.

Right on.

Agree with you about Holyfield, pal.  Guy was always a class act.  Good ol' mama's boy from the South.  Always tried to do everything right.  He was the antithesis of Tyson.

I remember in the mid to late 80's watching Holyfield fights with my Dad on his 13 inch black and white TV he had in his bedroom.

Think they were all on showtime.  Before he was a heavyweight.  Dad was a big fan and watched all his fights.  So I would always watch them with him.  

He came off as this Christian guy who could do no wrong later in his career.  Yet I think he had a ton of children out of wedlock right?  So much for that persona...

They are banking on potential. But you can’t factor that into todays reality.

But your stance is better than talking about Ali’s approval rating. That’s just retarded.

Just seems like there has to be an angle for them. 

Like...I don't get the Canelo thing at all....but if it truly launches a network service streaming or whatever, I guess it can be worth it. Just seems like too much. 

Perhaps they want to revive boxing as a whole and have a better way to control the mechanisms of such. 

He had that rare quality of being able to take a beating and keep coming back, often in the same round. Almost always undersized in his fights as well, just so strong mentally. Guy was an absolute warrior.

Of course he was a disaster handling his money, hopefully his son cashes some NFL checks and is able to help take care of his dad in his older years.

Side note:  The Douglas story was great, too.  His mother had died a couple weeks earlier (I think it was)... and that motivated him.  The post-fight interview was very emotional- one of the best.  Great moment.

Of course, he lost to Holyfield in his next fight, LOL... but Douglas had his moment on top of the world.  

Man, I love boxing!

Just seems like there has to be an angle for them.

Like...I don't get the Canelo thing at all....but if it truly launches a network service streaming or whatever, I guess it can be worth it. Just seems like too much.

Perhaps they want to revive boxing as a whole and have a better way to control the mechanisms of such.

Ok so they want to revive it, cuz right now it’s dead.

I remember in the mid to late 80's watching Holyfield fights with my Dad on his 13 inch black and white TV he had in his bedroom.

Think they were all on showtime.  Before he was a heavyweight.  Dad was a big fan and watched all his fights.  So I would always watch them with him.  

He came off as this Christian guy who could do no wrong later in his career.  Yet I think he had a ton of children out of wedlock right?  So much for that persona...

Guy was the Shawn Kemp of boxing for sure, lousy with money too. I remember reading about his mansion outside of Atlanta, supposedly had over 100 rooms.

I don’t think the religious stuff was bullshit though, guy just had his demons like most of us. What a fighter he was though.