Boxing is dead, eh?

KingRevolver

He had that rare quality of being able to take a beating and keep coming back, often in the same round. Almost always undersized in his fights as well, just so strong mentally. Guy was an absolute warrior.

Of course he was a disaster handling his money, hopefully his son cashes some NFL checks and is able to help take care of his dad in his older years.

Yeah, Holyfield was a tough son of a gun.

One of my favorite rounds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF7r1ab_n-8

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Side note:  The Douglas story was great, too.  His mother had died a couple weeks earlier (I think it was)... and that motivated him.  The post-fight interview was very emotional- one of the best.  Great moment.

Of course, he lost to Holyfield in his next fight, LOL... but Douglas had his moment on top of the world.  

Man, I love boxing!

Tyson had lost most of his team in the months before the Douglas fight, one of the enduring memories is that idiot in his corner holding that stupid balloon thing to his eye instead of the unswell.

The finishing uppercut in that fight was like something out of a textbook, absolutely perfect.

Tyson had lost most of his team in the months before the Douglas fight, one of the enduring memories is that idiot in his corner holding that stupid balloon thing to his eye instead of the unswell.

The finishing uppercut in that fight was like something out of a textbook, absolutely perfect.

They were so confident they were going to win that they didn't even bring an enswell to the fight.

Thanks, pal.

Your dad like any other boxers?

Holyfield was his favorite for sure.  

He loved boxing.  Would watch anything that was on.  Any fighters.  Scrubs on ESPN.  Didn't matter. 

He loved "Little Hands of Stone" too.  Since he was from PHX.  Guy kinda turned out to be a turd though. 

Told me stories of when he boxed when he was in the Army.  Not sure if that was in Vietnam or when he was stationed elsewhere.  Man of few words.  Chances to pick his brain were few and far between.  Had to catch him in the mood.  

He loved boxing.  Would watch anything that was on.  Any fighters.  Scrubs on ESPN.  Didn't matter. 

He loved "Little Hands of Stone" too.  Since he was from PHX.  Guy kinda turned out to be a turd though. 

Told me stories of when he boxed when he was in the Army.  Not sure if that was in Vietnam or when he was stationed elsewhere.  Man of few words.  Chances to pick his brain were few and far between.  Had to catch him in the mood.  

:laugh

True story:  My mom took my friends and I out to eat (we were around 11-12) and we were outside the restaurant when we saw Carbajal jogging about a block away from us.  I then said, "Don't come over here or I'll knock you out!"  Guy laughed and kept going.

His fight against Chiquita Gonzalez is one of my favorites.  I believe it was the first Jr. Flyweight fight with a $1 million purse.  Lived up to the hype.

Guy is dumb as a box of rocks, though.  And his brother fucked him over financially.

Reminds me of my father.

:laugh

True story:  My mom took my friends and I out to eat (we were around 11-12) and we were outside the restaurant when we saw Carbajal jogging about a block away from us.  I then said, "Don't come over here or I'll knock you out!"  Guy laughed and kept going.

His fight against Chiquita Gonzalez is one of my favorites.  I believe it was the first Jr. Flyweight fight with a $1 million purse.  Lived up to the hype.

Guy is dumb as a box of rocks, though.  And his brother fucked him over financially.

Those fights with Gonzales were so hyped up here in AZ.  Carbajal was just outclassed.  Couldn't beat that little squatty banana.  

Reminds me of my father.

We held neighborhood boxing matches when we were kids.  They were fun as shit.  

Almost won every one.  Well I did, against kids my age.  Lost to one of my friends older brothers.  He got pissed when I pounded his brother.  Then put the gloves on and took it to me.  He was like 5 years older than me though.

Then the other time was when I took it to my little brother.  It was just the two of us.  My dad came out and asked me if I was ready to put the big kid gloves on.  I said lets go.

Guy kept jabbing me straight in the face and took it to me.  He took it easy but made his point.   :laugh

We held neighborhood boxing matches when we were kids.  They were fun as shit.  

Almost won every one.  Well I did, against kids my age.  Lost to one of my friends older brothers.  He got pissed when I pounded his brother.  Then put the gloves on and took it to me.  He was like 5 years older than me though.

Then the other time was when I took it to my little brother.  It was just the two of us.  My dad came out and asked me if I was ready to put the big kid gloves on.  I said lets go.

Guy kept jabbing me straight in the face and took it to me.  He took it easy but made his point.   :laugh

:laugh  :laugh  :laugh

Genius if all you care about is money.

Maybe not so much if you care about integrity and those sorts of things.

I'm the least judgmental person in the world. Far from perfect. Just would like to see an ounce of some good in Floyd you could cheer for. Just havent ever seen it.

Integrity in boxing? That’s a good one. Controversy sells in this sport.

Good memories by BFO. Olympic boxing in the 70-80’s were great also. Not sure when the sport derailed.

boxing is great when there are interesting big heavyweights, not boring guys that don't lose like klitschko forever

when the economy is good (like the last 9 years) then all we get in this country to fight are scrawny mexicans... times of great pain and suffering are good for combat sports, why get punched in the head 1000 times if you have life's necessities already?

hopefully the england fights will be televised here... also legalized gambling should be quite good for boxing and ufc, those have always been fun sports to bet because anything can happen... losing ticket can turn into a winner with 1 punch