Lee Smith and Harold Baines elected to HOF

El Chapo2017

COMPLETE JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!

BAINES in the HOF and DWIGHT EVANS off the ballot

:doh  :doh  :doh  :doh  :doh  :doh

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPS-    EVANS .840   BAINES .820

HR'S     EVANS  385   BAINES  384

RUNS   EVANS  1470 BAINES  1299

EVANS EIGHT GOLD GLOVES and one of the greatest defensive right-fielders of ALLTIME!!

BAINES majority of games played as a DH

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COMPLETE JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!

BAINES in the HOF and DWIGHT EVANS off the ballot

:doh  :doh  :doh  :doh  :doh  :doh

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPS-    EVANS .840   BAINES .820

HR'S     EVANS  385   BAINES  384

RUNS   EVANS  1470 BAINES  1299

EVANS EIGHT GOLD GLOVES and one of the greatest defensive right-fielders of ALLTIME!!

BAINES majority of games played as a DH

SABR-IS-RAD-MDC  VALUES

BAINES $5,317,000

DEWEY $13,232,000

:gun2

No its not a good comp.....Kingman hit .201 every year.....McGuire was a beast, 49 HR's as a rookie and skipped the last few games for some dumb reason or he gets 50

Agree.  It's not a good comparison.

McGwire:

Rookie of the Year (Broke HR rookie record)

12 time all-star

.263 career batting average

582 home runs

1414 RBI

.982 career OPS

2 time gold glove winner

62.2 career WAR

Kingman:

3 time all-star

.236 career batting average

442 home runs

1210 RBI

.780 career OPS

0 gold gloves

17.3 career WAR

McGwire blows him away in every category. 

No its not a good comp.....Kingman hit .201 every year.....McGuire was a beast, 49 HR's as a rookie and skipped the last few games for some dumb reason or he gets 50

McGwire started the last 31 games in 1987.

Where are you getting this BS about him "skipping" games.

Also, back to the general topic, Dave Kingman was a joke who isn't on the same planet as McGwire.

McGwire should've been 1st Ballot, if not for the PED thing.

Baines getting in is so bad!

How many former Big-League players are saying today "If Baines is in...then I have to be in!"  You can't set Baines as the threshold for a HOF career.

Dwight Evans + Dale Murphy are good ones.  The one that came to mind for me = Keith Hernandez.  I always thought Keith was just short of HOF status.

Batting crown, MVP, 2x World Series champ, 11 Gold Gloves.  Arguably the best defensive 1b (compared to Baines, who contributed almost nothing defensively).  If Baines is in...Keith HAS TO be in, and there are a lot of guys like that.

Agree. It's not a good comparison.

McGwire:

Rookie of the Year (Broke HR rookie record)

12 time all-star

.263 career batting average

582 home runs

1414 RBI

.982 career OPS

2 time gold glove winner

62.2 career WAR

Kingman:

3 time all-star

.236 career batting average

442 home runs

1210 RBI

.780 career OPS

0 gold gloves

17.3 career WAR

McGwire blows him away in every category.

You fuckers, I wasn’t saying Kingman was as good a player as McGwire, more making a comparison of how much power they had.

Kingman would’ve been an interesting HOF dilemma though. In those days 500 home runs was an auto induction, had he chosen to not retire early Kingman would’ve hit 500 almost for sure.

Yes he was a shit player, but he hit a lot of home runs for that era.

How many former Big-League players are saying today "If Baines is in...then I have to be in!" You can't set Baines as the threshold for a HOF career.

Dwight Evans + Dale Murphy are good ones. The one that came to mind for me = Keith Hernandez. I always thought Keith was just short of HOF status.

Batting crown, MVP, 2x World Series champ, 11 Gold Gloves. Arguably the best defensive 1b (compared to Baines, who contributed almost nothing defensively). If Baines is in...Keith HAS TO be in, and there are a lot of guys like that.

Ted Simmons, guy should have gotten in years ago

I wasn’t saying Kingman was as good a player as McGwire, more making a comparison of how much power they had.

I never thought that's what you meant.  Mach is the one who said it was a good comparison.  

I was just setting the record straight.  Similar power is pretty much where the comparison stops.  The difference can really be seen in the career OPS and WAR stats.  

Plus, McGwire was considered a good fielding first baseman.  Winning 2 gold gloves. 

How many former Big-League players are saying today "If Baines is in...then I have to be in!" You can't set Baines as the threshold for a HOF career.

Dwight Evans + Dale Murphy are good ones. The one that came to mind for me = Keith Hernandez. I always thought Keith was just short of HOF status.

Batting crown, MVP, 2x World Series champ, 11 Gold Gloves. Arguably the best defensive 1b (compared to Baines, who contributed almost nothing defensively). If Baines is in...Keith HAS TO be in, and there are a lot of guys like that.

Exactly.

Everybody worthy of the "Hall of the Very Good" is going to want in now.

Dwight Evans, Mattingly, Ted Simmons, Vada Pinson, Hernandez, Murphy, Etc.

Baines sets a HORRIBLE precedent in terms of, " If HE is in, then THAT GUY should be in".

Worst HOF choice since the days of the Frankie Frisch era Vets committee.

Total cronyism. Thx to Reinsdorf.

Sad day for the HOF.

Dug up some good stuff on Dwight Evans.  He was good in two areas that often don't get recognition: Plate Discipline and Outfield Defense.

Bases on Balls 1981 AL  85 (1st) 1985 AL  114 (1st) 1987 AL  106 (1st) Career  1,391 (29th)

Assists as RF (s.1908) 1975 AL  15 (1st) 1976 AL  15 (1st) 1979 AL  15 (1st) Career  155 (14th)

Dug up some good stuff on Dwight Evans.  He was good in two areas that often don't get recognition: Plate Discipline and Outfield Defense.

Bases on Balls

1981 AL  85 (1st)

1985 AL  114 (1st)

1987 AL  106 (1st)

Career  1,391 (29th)

Assists as RF (s.1908)

1975 AL  15 (1st)

1976 AL  15 (1st)

1979 AL  15 (1st)

Career  155 (14th)

Dewey has a good case. I mean, compared to an unworthy bum like Baines, Dewey belongs on Mt. Rushmore.

Dwight Evans = 52.2 Career JAWS. 15th among RF.

Only 2 ahead of him not in the HOF are Larry Walker and Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Harold Baines = 30.1 Career JAWS. 74th among RF.

Baines selection is a disgrace.

Bases on Balls 1981 AL  85 (1st) 1985 AL  114 (1st) 1987 AL  106 (1st) Career  1,391 (29th)

Assists as RF (s.1908) 1975 AL  15 (1st) 1976 AL  15 (1st) 1979 AL  15 (1st) Career  155 (14th)

It's to bad it took DEWEY 5+ years to figure out his offensive game, he missed having some great numbers from 1975-1979 before figuring it out.

In the decade of the 80's, Dewey's offensive and defensive accomplishments made him one of the very best all-around players of that decade...…………...if not mistaken, he led that decade in HOME RUNS or was very close to leading, in addition to leading the AL in walks in three of those years...……….and although he led the league in OF assists three times prior to 1980, his reputation for having one of the most accurate/powerful arms the game as ever seen, kept many, many a runner from advancing an extra base.

Dewey also has the distinction of hitting the earliest HR to start a season, when he homered on Jack Morris's first pitch of the 1986 baseball season...………………………

Evans looked at teammate Marty Barrett and made a prediction in the on-deck circle. "I slammed that doughnut down on the mat and I said, 'Marty, I'm going deep on the first pitch.'"

And then he did, lashing the fastball over the fence and quieting the Detroit crowd.

You can't start a season better than a first-pitch, leadoff home run on Opening Day. "People always say, 'That record can never be broken,'" Evans said.

It can only be tied.