It is baffling that the market continues to rise

WVU

In light of the uncertainties across the planet.  How can the government be shut down and the market rises? Brexit, oil, etc?

While it's impossible to divine true reasons for why the market moves, I'll give it a try. The govt shutdown is totally meaningless to anything except those workers effected, keep in mind they'll all get paid eventually and not only that, many are not working now but will still be paid later(they're getting a free vacation).

Brexit was never really expected to happen due to the powers opposed to it, and to top it off the UK is not a global factor either, certainly not to our stock market.

Oil seems to have bottomed and is on it's way back up after the Saudis and Russians cut back on production...so that seems to have passed.

The far bigger factor will be china trade worries - it appears the chinese might be ready to deal, that's great.

By the way, I'm still about 70% out of the market - which means I made a mistake...oh well.

I'm about 60% in the market.

I have 4 CDs coming due at the end of the month and those funds will be going back into equities.

CD rates finally getting to respectable levels, capital one(where i have my cash) now has a 1 yr cd at about 2.7 %, not bad considering the last 8 years.

The money I pulled out of the market that was in my IRA's is making about 2% while it sits.

CD rates finally getting to respectable levels, capital one(where i have my cash) now has a 1 yr cd at about 2.7 %, not bad considering the last 8 years.

The money I pulled out of the market that was in my IRA's is making about 2% while it sits.

I've been rolling over 30 day CDs at rates between 2.1% and 2.25%, nothing to sneeze at but there are some stock bargains to be had with good dividends at attractive prices.

I've been rolling over 30 day CDs at rates between 2.1% and 2.25%, nothing to sneeze at but there are some stock bargains to be had with good dividends at attractive prices.

Money funds are now paying over 2%(mine is at 2.1), no need to do short term CD's anymore.

Now that I'm retired, I'm a bit more cautious with potential market losses, of course it's almost always a mistake to panic, either in or out.

Anyone that has followed the markets in the past 20 years should have learned by now that reality and the stock market are not connected.

This is a Trump euphoric rally. The books are cooked, the jobs numbers are BS and the entire economy is dependent on the stock market.

Watch out for 2020 when reality begins to take hold.