OT: How many people at TGF own their property free and clear - PAID OFF.

Fazzer

It's not hard in theory.  It is in practice. 

If you own your home free and clear and you are not retired and/or did not inherit it and/or are under 55 then you are in a small bank of people that are very fortunate. 

Bought my first house 86( I was 26), was married and had it paid off by the time i got divorced in 96. Bought another house after the divorce( a much better house) and paid it off around 2006 or 7. it takes a lot of discipline to keep paying extra but it pays off, and once you're free of that payment it's all gravy, you can really loosen the spending.

nobody owns anything.  the government owns everything.  people just pay the rent(property tax).  if you don't pay the rent then the real owners come in.

that's a good point

people in this country like to blabber about "freedom" all the time

what freedom?  i can't do anything to "my" property without permission from the government... heck you can't even get married, sell lemonade, drive without the government's permission

just to prepare a financial statement i have to be licensed and member of aicpa/wicpa, and get peer reviewed, and pay tons of fees every year

that's a good point

people in this country like to blabber about "freedom" all the time

what freedom? i can't do anything to "my" property without permission from the government... heck you can't even get married, sell lemonade, drive without the government's permission

just to prepare a financial statement i have to be licensed and member of aicpa/wicpa, and get peer reviewed, and pay tons of fees every year

U.S. isn’t even in the top 10 of any lists of “freeist” countries based on various indexes in last few years...that I’ve seen anyway.

You will notice the majority of those (if not all) , self included, with no mortgage have no kids. It would be a much more difficult feat I would imagine, if you had kids.

If I could do it over I would choose the kids I think.

You know, you can borrow some first, to see if you like it. #Auntie_IAG #FosterCare

You know, you can borrow some first, to see if you like it. #Auntie_IAG #FosterCare

I’ve actually thought of that.....foster care/adoption. I can barely take care of myself these days though. Like I said I probably would’ve done it differently in hindsight, but for the most part that ship has sailed. Technically It’s still possible, but I am guessing that no doctor would advise it.

If I ever did adopt or foster I would want older kids which works perfectly, since most people want babies. Reality is this will never happen, but it is something that I have thought about. My own nieces and nephews are older, because there is a large gap in age between me and my brothers. At the time they were babies, I had absolutely no desire to have kids. I am almost as close in age to them as my brothers.

I’ve actually thought of that.....foster care/adoption. I can barely take care of myself these days though. Like I said I probably would’ve done it differently in hindsight, but for the most part that ship has sailed. Technically It’s still possible, but I am guessing that no doctor would advise it.

If I ever did adopt or foster I would want older kids which works perfectly, since most people want babies. Reality is this will never happen, but it is something that I have thought about. My own nieces and nephews are older, because there is a large gap in age between me and my brothers. At the time they were babies, I had absolutely no desire to have kids. I am almost as close in age to them as my brothers.

don't sell yourself short, i'm sure you would be better than most

there was a house kitty-corner to mine growing up, and she had her own kids (one that i was friends with) + a never ending revolving door of special needs kids that she was getting paid to watch... looking back she was pretty horrible and only did it for the money... same house where i got viciously attacked by a dog

whenever i went over there i wouldn't know what to expect, but there was always some screaming going on, and usually someone banging their own head against a wall or something

don't sell yourself short, i'm sure you would be better than most

there was a house kitty-corner to mine growing up, and she had her own kids (one that i was friends with) + a never ending revolving door of special needs kids that she was getting paid to watch... looking back she was pretty horrible and only did it for the money... same house where i got viciously attacked by a dog

whenever i went over there i wouldn't know what to expect, but there was always some screaming going on, and usually someone banging their own head against a wall or something

Geez! Yeah... maybe so...but the time is not right now, and every year that passes it become more implausible. And I know myself well enough that I know that I wouldn’t have the patience for special needs kids. God bless those that do, but I know I don’t. Because my brothers were older I was essentially raised as an only child, and I was the only girl, and I think somehow that ties into my lack of maternal instinct.

It is what it is. I could’ve done it but I chose not to. At the time I made that choice it made sense for me. I’m pretty independent. Probably best that I limit myself to furry creatures.