Are 'Stand Your Ground' Laws A Good Idea?

Balco

Long answer... I think yes.

I think the biggest argument opponents have about the "stand your ground" laws is that anyone can shoot a person and then claim "stand your ground." But I think for the most part investigators are able to determine if their is merit to their claim and go from there.

I don't know... maybe I'm wrong.

I will be the first dissenter. There are too many small dicked men in this world that think they are deputy dog - see George Zimmerman. Half of the people in this world are dumber than average. I don't want them owning and handling a weapon that can take someone's life. That scares the shit out of me.

I will be the first dissenter. There are too many small dicked men in this world that think they are deputy dog - see George Zimmerman. Half of the people in this world are dumber than average. I don't want them owning and handling a weapon that can take someone's life. That scares the shit out of me.

I agree with this. I'm happy Z got off the charges, but I don't agree that you can patrol the neighborhood for suspicious things, possibly instigate something then shoot the person. Might as well call him a cop.

I wish the stand your ground was only on your own property. Someone enters your home, by all means shoot him, open/closed case, no need for a jury or anything.

Agree with you TS. A dude at the end of the bar is 6'5" and 275 pounds. He looks at me in a threatening way. I am a mouth breather and don't have the mental ability to go away or defuse. I will just shoot his ass because I feel threatened. As long as I do it in Florida, I'm probably o.k. Ha...

Yep' date=' couldn't do anything but shoot the teenager. That is a brilliant counterpoint.....[/quote']

You are mixing up the cases. Not sure if you remember what happened in Ferguson.. Brown was 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m) tall and weighed 292 lb (132 kg). You shoot a guy this big that comes at you. It doesn't matter if you are a civilian or police officer.

Should go along these lines.

If you shoot someone on your property. You're good.

If you carry and shoot someone on in a parking lot or on the street, you're good if the other person has a weapon as well. If it was just somebody with Ice Tea and skittles, then you go to jail.

Will save everyone alot of time.

This is the worst story I've read. Guy gets robbed a week or so before. So he maybe "lures" someone to come and do it again by leaving garage door cracked. Well someone comes into his garage and the unarmed intruder is shot dead. Homeowner gets 70 years. Guy should be given an award for taking pieces of shit off this planet not sent to prison. I get it thought, maybe premeditated, but so be it, who knows if intruder had a weapon and why wait for the intruder to announce if he does or not. Fucked up that Zimmerman gets off for maybe looking for trouble and this guy in his home shoots someone and gets sent to prison.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/montana-man-killed-german-student-set-sentencing-28909844

Should go along these lines.

If you shoot someone on your property. You're good.

If you carry and shoot someone on in a parking lot or on the street, you're good if the other person has a weapon as well. If it was just somebody with Ice Tea and skittles, then you go to jail.

Will save everyone alot of time.

This is the worst story I've read. Guy gets robbed a week or so before. So he maybe "lures" someone to come and do it again by leaving garage door cracked. Well someone comes into his garage and the unarmed intruder is shot dead. Homeowner gets 70 years. Guy should be given an award for taking pieces of shit off this planet not sent to prison. I get it thought, maybe premeditated, but so be it, who knows if intruder had a weapon and why wait for the intruder to announce if he does or not. Fucked up that Zimmerman gets off for maybe looking for trouble and this guy in his home shoots someone and gets sent to prison.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/montana-man-killed-german-student-set-sentencing-28909844

Zimmerman was getting his head pounded on the pavement. He didn't have a choice.

Zimmerman was getting his head pounded on the pavement. He didn't have a choice.

Yeah, but in reality, Zimmerman should've at least gotten manslaughter or a lesser charge, because he was responsible in some way. The fuckin' 17-year-old kid was heading home after going to the store to buy snacks. Zimmerman was the one being Mr. Mall Cop because he saw a black kid with a hoodie and assumed he was trying to break into an apartment. There's some responsibility there.

Guest ChrisHarvard

The Zimmerman case is not really a fair comparison.

Only (2) people know what really happened and 1 of them is dead.

States like Virginia and Texas you would do 6 years for manslaughter if you shoot two guys that run up on you and your wife in a parking lot trying to rape & kill you.

If you make the decision to carry, you should have 10-15 stowed away for attorney fees because outside of Florida you will be prosecuted for malicious wounding or if they don't come back, manslaughter.