Addiction is a devestating disease - Josh Hamilton career possibly over

Timely Hitting

No. But you both think you have it all figured out and are completely naive.

the struggle of addiction isn't as simple as telling yourself "I'm going to stop doing whatever I'm addicted to " , pal.

I took Xanax for years to help me sleep. I decided I didn't like having to depend on a pill and didn't want to become addicted and just stopped, like you suggested. Guess what? No matter how strong mentally you are, the physical withdraws landed me in the hospital. I didn't even realize I was addicted as I didn't even take them every day. Just when I needed a little help sleeping. Does that make me weak? No -it's called being a human.

I really don't mind you, but don't refer to my intelligence and you can't spell devastating.

yes, I can't spell the word. Jaysus. Blame my phone pal. I don't go back and correct it if it's wrong, because I don't really care.

Resorting to spelling as a defense is sign number one that you've lost the debate. I'm sure youre devestated. Or devastated. Or devistated.

I'll be 40 next week. I did every kind of drug and drink you could think of and put it down eventually. The one i've had a fifteen year issue with is painkillers. Addiction is no joke. Was clean three years fell off wagon Monday.......

hang in there mike, nobody is close to perfect and don't beat yourself up over the setback.

must be something about guys named mike, mike means "god like" but it seems like many of us have our demons.

I'll be 40 next week. I did every kind of drug and drink you could think of and put it down eventually. The one i've had a fifteen year issue with is painkillers. Addiction is no joke. Was clean three years fell off wagon Monday.......

The good news is. Today is Wednesday and you slipped up on Monday. You realized your mistake and aren't currently using today. One day at a time.

The good news is. Today is Wednesday and you slipped up on Monday. You realized your mistake and aren't currently using today. One day at a time.

Great way of looking at it

Hope it was just a temporary setback Mike and you continue to make the right choices one day at a time like Yanks said. Three years is something to be proud of. Cant say ive battled with any kind of serious addiction myself, but im sure that can't be easy.

Pretty much everyone has their demons or weaknesses. Not everyone is honest enough with themselves to admit it though

Mike you've always been really open and helpful to others suffering from addiction on the forums for a long time, and embraced your battle. A hat tip to 3 years, and another one to the next 3 years. 1 out of 1095 seems more like an outlier, than a trend. The odds are well in your favor. Not sure I even need to say hang in there, because no one is perfect and expecting that is impossible to achieve. As long as the trend remains good, the outliers are exactly that; an outlier.

First of addictions should not be labeled as disease, they are not. Most ppl consider obesity to be a disease. That's laughable!!!! Now for the chemical imbalances well it's mind over matter as well. He's a start when ppl know the pain killer hey are taking is addictive they can chose not to start taking them. When I got my wisdom teeth cut out I think I took 2/3 pills and flushed the others down my toilet. I could've taken all of them but wasn't necessary. All addictions start somewhere, be ahead of the game ppl. Here's another incentive when it comes to the average joe, not pro athletes. Take a family member for example offer to pay them $1000 every day they don't smoke a cigarette,I bet you their mind over addiction disease lol chooses the cash. It's simple , ppl are weak and just look for a way out. Which brings me to my next topic , suicide, weakest of them all. Soldiers come back with missing limbs we have car crash victims with scars and they keep their head up and strive on. Then you have weak minded kids who get made fun of that kill themselves, let me guess they were depressed , it's weak!!!!

When i first started gambling it was at the dog and horse tracks i'd lost big one night and spent some time sleeping in my car. I had an almost suicidal feeling once the money was gone. Those early experiences made me do my homework before i wager. Did a good job of reigning that urge in because it was strong. I pick my spots. Football,Horses,Lottery.

Great read. Deemer is entitled to his opinions. Addiction has come to the light and no longer a stigma. Lots of options out there for people to get help these days. Insurance companies are becoming real stingy last few years though.

Anyone with half a brain knows that the chances of a full blown addict just stopping is insane. I know I think maybe 2 people out of thousands that got clean without treatment, and hundreds that have been to treatment 5+ times.

Opioid addiction is no joke - I know first hand. BUT I must say....I ended up beating it on my own after trying to professional help..(basically had the flu like symptoms for 2-3 weeks). Yes I did more than Vicodin, unfortunately.

I am all for help for addictions but I am heavily against these drug dealing doctors that give out suboxone ect for LONG periods of time...because then you will get addicted to that and when that runs out you will go back to your drug of choice. Its a vicious circle...and you MUST take it day by day and when you mess up, As in poster mike's case, you look at the BIG picture.

The physical withdrawals suck but the mental shit you deal with is much much worse.

First of addictions should not be labeled as disease' date=' they are not. Most ppl consider obesity to be a disease. That's laughable!!!! Now for the chemical imbalances well it's mind over matter as well. He's a start when ppl know the pain killer hey are taking is addictive they can chose not to start taking them. When I got my wisdom teeth cut out I think I took 2/3 pills and flushed the others down my toilet. I could've taken all of them but wasn't necessary. All addictions start somewhere, be ahead of the game ppl. Here's another incentive when it comes to the average joe, not pro athletes. Take a family member for example offer to pay them $1000 every day they don't smoke a cigarette,I bet you their mind over addiction disease lol chooses the cash. It's simple , ppl are weak and just look for a way out. Which brings me to my next topic , suicide, weakest of them all. Soldiers come back with missing limbs we have car crash victims with scars and they keep their head up and strive on. Then you have weak minded kids who get made fun of that kill themselves, let me guess they were depressed , it's weak!!!![/quote']

Nowonder why you and Deemer are bestfriends.

People say if you consider drug addiction a disease, you are taking the responsibility away from the drug addict. But that's wrong. If we say a person has heart disease, are we eliminating their responsibility? No. We're having them exercise. We want them to eat less, stop smoking. The fact that we have a disease recognizes that there are changes, in this case, in the brainâ€

Addiction is not a weakness. The fact that addiction crosses all socio-economic boundaries confirms that addiction is a disease. People who don't know about addiction will tell you that you just need to be stronger to control your use. But if that was true then only unsuccessful people or unmotivated people would have an addiction, and yet 10% of high-functioning executives have an addiction.

If you think of addiction as a weakness, you'll paint yourself into a corner that you can't get out of. You'll focus on being stronger and trying to control your use, instead of treating addiction like a disease and focusing on stopping your use.

Addiction is not a weakness. The fact that addiction crosses all socio-economic boundaries confirms that addiction is a disease. People who don't know about addiction will tell you that you just need to be stronger to control your use. But if that was true then only unsuccessful people or unmotivated people would have an addiction' date=' and yet [b']10% of high-functioning executives have an addiction.[/b]

If you think of addiction as a weakness, you'll paint yourself into a corner that you can't get out of. You'll focus on being stronger and trying to control your use, instead of treating addiction like a disease and focusing on stopping your use.

rich, poor, white, black, alcohol and drug addiction hits all groups. ;like you said, there are quite a few lawyers, bankers, accountants, executives that are functional drunks or functional addicts.

and mike75 made a good point about boredom, that has been a trigger for me too. sitting around, my shoulder hurts so i throw on a couple fentanyl patches and while i wait for those to kick in might as well take some vicodin or muscle relaxers i have sitting around and a glass of scotch won't hurt while i wait for that to kick in...