Baseball handicapping methods, data, resources.

kovacsbar

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Baseball has changed to the point where first 5 innings is one of the only bets, or totals, to make.

Starters rarely go more than 6 innings anymore and bullpens are a crap shoot more than half the time.

Weather changes, substitutions and unpredictable batting orders, extra innings.

Full game = crapshoot

If I wanna use the success of a starting  lineup against the spin rate of C.C. Sabathia's cutter in my model, it doesn't apply at all to innings 6-9. So  I'm a sitting duck for that market.  I can replicate the science of 5 innings and grind out 8-10% or throw my money in the shitter.

Does all available information create a more efficient market in a five inning market ? Sure it does.  The law of large numbers dials that in even tighter. Samples are way more consistent as well. Should be way tougher to beat right?

Too bad you're looking at it backwards.

The game line is not based off of the 5 inning line.

And if people can't figure out how to handicap bullpens, that's a huge advantage over the market.

If I wanna use the success of a starting  lineup against the spin rate of C.C. Sabathia's cutter in my model, it doesn't apply at all to innings 6-9. So  I'm a sitting duck for that market.  I can replicate the science of 5 innings and grind out 8-10% or throw my money in the shitter.

Because CC Sabathia is always going to go at least 5?   LOL.

Does all available information create a more efficient market in a five inning market ? Sure it does. The law of large numbers dials that in even tighter. Samples are way more consistent as well. Should be way tougher to beat right?

Then why are limits so much lower

If I wanna use the success of a starting lineup against the spin rate of C.C. Sabathia's cutter in my model, it doesn't apply at all to innings 6-9. So I'm a sitting duck for that market. I can replicate the science of 5 innings and grind out 8-10% or throw my money in the shitter.

8-10% holy shit must have best model ever made