I'm at Meineke getting fucked...

KingRevolver

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charging the AC unit with freon (or whatever they call it these days) is a little expensive. It can cost a couple hundred alone.

Surprised KR can't do this stuff himself though.

Assuming it's R134a, the cans are $5 each, for a full charge with new oil, figure about $20 in materials.

I can do most car repairs, and have done so. But I don't like dealing with my a/c. I hate opening up my a/c lines.

If you take the car to a place like Meineke or Jiffy Lube, you can have them evacuate the AC system first. They'll usually pay you for the refrigerant that they pull. Then you can do all of the repairs yourself, including buying the refrigerant and filling it up yourself.

I can do most car repairs, and have done so. But I don't like dealing with my a/c. I hate opening up my a/c lines.

You dont open them up, you connect a fitting and follow the instructions. You can buy the good connector kit(with a gauge) for  maybe $20 and get a near perfect charge(not too high or low).

You cant even screw up if you try because the high and low side have different size fittings.

i recall taking my then 4 year old car into a firestone one time for 2 new tires,, they gave me the "free inspection", and recommended almost $2K in work, it was all bullshit, struts replaced, etc, that was like 7 years ago , have never had a single thing they recommended done.

That's because you don't have money.

You dont open them up, you connect a fitting and follow the instructions. You can buy the good connector kit(with a gauge) for maybe $20 and get a near perfect charge(not too high or low).

You need to pump out the refrigerant first. It takes a lot more than $20 of refrigerant to fill it back up after you've repaired it.

You need to pump out the refrigerant first. It takes a lot more than $20 of refrigerant to fill it back up after you've repaired it.

Well, if it all leaked out there's nothing to pump out, but anyway, he's getting a new unit so that's easy peasy. I agree the shops will charge you far higher prices.

Most systems prob hold a couple lbs plus maybe 8 oz of oil, hard to say, not knowing the car.