I'm a happy man

mikeman

Just had the insurance adjuster out following a hailstorm last friday - modest quarter size hail with a few larger. I'm getting a new roof, new gutters and downspouts, along with something regarding the windows(chipped trim).

This comes just in the nick of time since my roof is almost 20 years old, now I do have a fairly sizable deductible, $2500, but this roof is prob 10-12K at least..

I consider this to be Karma for living an exemplary life. :dancing

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10-12k for a roof? I would have put you living in a single wide.

Thats what the roofers said, I'll find out exactly when I get the ins quote, that's close for a tear off and re roof. My street was swarming with roofers the days after the storm, pretty much everyone can get in on the action. Getting new roofs due to hail damage is quite the racket here in MN

My roof is 24 squares.

Assuming you have poverty asphalt shingles , no way in hell its that expensive

Prob 98% of houses here have asphalt, shakes are rare, as are metal roofs. A buddy of mine who lives maybe 8 miles away had a hail claim a couple years ago, almost the whole city did.

His house is smaller than mine, he said the ins quote was almost $9K. The way it works is the ins co will give a figure and the roofer will try to squeeze them for a few K more.

I had 3 guys on my roof, they claim the "new" shingles are far better than they used to be, one guy said they have 50 year shingles that are guaranteed and that the old 3 tab shingles are never used anymore on Ins jobs. Supposedly there are new techniques, synthetic's have replaced replace tar paper, new snow/water barriers to prevent ice dams, etc.. I'm hoping to use the money I'm getting for the gutters/downspouts, screens, etc to draw down my deductible a bit. I really dont care about a few dings on them.

All of them say they can tear off a reroof in a day, they might have 10 mexicans on a roof at once.

The shingle company might guarantee 50 year shingles but your insurance company won’t. Your rates will rise after 20 years.

When the guy said that I said cmon, he said "obviously nothing will hold up to golf ball size hail". The point is these new architectural shingles are supposedly improved, there were huge shingle recalls maybe 10 years ago.

My insurance rates are going up huge by the way, because everyone in MN who needs a roof can wait for a hailstorm and then get one .

6 people working did this roof in 1 day.

6 am to 9 pm

Bassturds carried each bundle of shingles up by hand.

My roof is about 24 squares(100 sq ft), there are 3 shingle bundles per sq so that's about 75 bundles. Each one costs about $30-35 according to the ads in the paper(they prob get a discount). that's about $2500 for the shingles, add in  another $500-1k for the underlayments , nails, vents, misc and a couple hundred for a dumpster plus a permit, you could be close to $4 k in costs.

So if they get 10-12K, they have $6-8K for labor and profit, they're making out like a bandit.

Biggest mistake I did during the renovations of my current house is putting on asphalt shingles

Asphalt was 18 K and Metal was 30K

I cheaped out and went with Shingles,now 16 years later I am looking at probably having to replace my roof again in the next 5-8 years

Asphalt Shingles are oil based so the cost of them have gone up significantly the last few years

Biggest mistake I did during the renovations of my current house is putting on asphalt shingles

Asphalt was 18 K and Metal was 30K

I cheaped out and went with Shingles,now 16 years later I am looking at probably having to replace my roof again in the next 5-8 years

Asphalt Shingles are oil based so the cost of them have gone up significantly the last few years

Yea, I hear metals better and lasts 50 years, but I'm not gonna live another 50 years, plus insurance wont pay for that. So if you're looking at maybe $2k for asphalt(the deductible), vs 20K for metal, there's really no choice.

i thought most insurance companies in the midwest went to a pro rated roof replacement as in if 20 year sold you dont get much back...

Nope, i think there are co's with policies like that, but mine is not one of them.. If that were the case there would be almost no reason to ever have a normal policy, you  may as well just have a $10- 20k deductible.(in case the house burns)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the estimate from the adjuster, the total is almost $13K with the roof part being about $9400, they deduct the deductible($2500) and some dedpreciation which I can get back when the work is finished. So, I'm getting $8K right now.

By my estimate I should be able to just about break even when all is said and done. :cigar