QB Ryan Tannehill Resurrecting Career With Tennessee

Mike75

There are instances where a QB goes to a another team and it breathes new life into his career.

Examples include Steve Young,Rich Gannon,Warren Moon,Jake Plummer,Kurt Warner,Drew Brees,Alex Smith,Carson Palmer.

Ryan Tannehill spent his first seven seasons as the starting QB in Miami from 2012 thru 2018.

In 2015 Tannehill became the fourth quarterback in NFL history to throw for over 3,000 yards in each of his first four seasons in the league. The others were Peyton Manning,Dan Marino,Kurt Warner.

That same year Tannehill set the all-time NFL record for consecutive completed passes with 25, In an October 25, 2015 victory over the Houston Texans as well as a perfect passer rating.

On March 15, 2019, the Dolphins traded Tannehill and a sixth-round selection in the 2019 NFL Draft to the Tennessee Titans in exchange for a fourth-round selection in the 2020 draft and a seventh-round selection in the 2019 draft.

Following the trade, Tannehill signed a one-year deal with the Titans worth $7 million with up to $12 million in incentives.

One crazy thing i noticed is usually when a QB leaves a team most of the fans say good riddance or be glad the guy is gone but i have seen a shitload of Miami fans that still love Tannehill and say he wasnt the problem in Miami.

To be honest i wasnt really thrilled to bring him here as i didnt think he would do much but i will eat crow and admit that he has proven me wrong.

With Mariota at QB starting in the Titans first six games they were terrible offensively ranking 26th in Scoring which including games where they scored 7 points vs Jax,7 points vs Buffalo and 0 points vs Denver.

Then Ryan Tannehill starts and everything changes drastically.

The 4 games Tannehill has started for Tennessee he has 3 game winning drives and 2 fourth quarter comebacks along with scoring 23,27,20 and 35 points ranking 5th in Scoring

So the Titans averaged 16 points a game with Mariota ranking 27th in Scoring and then with Tannehill the points a game jumped up to 26 points and instead of being in the bottom 5 in scoring the Titans jump to top 5 in scoring since Tannehill took over.

So now the Titans know the problem on offense wasnt the OC,the play calling or the offensive line it was Mariota playing like complete crap.

Also Tannehill has thrown for 8TD in 4 games, Mariota has thrown 8TD but thats in the last 25 games.

In 4 games Tannehill leads the NFL with 71.4 passes completed,top 5 with a 104 QB rating and just beat the KC Chiefs 35-32 and is 3-1 since taking over for Mariota.

Yeah its is pretty much a given that Mariota is done in Tennessee.

Will finish season strong and want Brinks truck of money.

I owe you a huge apology for saying Tannehill wasnt that good as a QB.

I'll eat crow i was totally wrong.

A majority of the comments i read from Dolphins fans they actually support Tannehill and believe that he didnt get enough support like a better offensive line among other things.

He looked good this preseason but i had no idea he was this good.

Maybe all he needed was a new home.

All i know is if he continues to play at this level i have no issue at all paying him his money. I do hope we secure his services past this season after all he fits perfectly here.

Look at the stats below......

Titans have made 10 trips to the red zone since Ryan Tannehill took over as starting quarterback in Week 7. They’ve scored touchdowns all 10 times.

Tennessee now leads the NFL with 72% of red-zone trips resulting in a TD.

Ryan Tannehill is now 3-1 and notched his 3rd game winning drive of the season.

The Titans have now scored 3+ offensive TDs in all 4 of Tannehill's starts!

Since Tannehill has become the starter, the #Titans rank 5th in Scoring.  Before Tanny they were 26th

4 games Tannehill has started for Tennessee he has 3 game winning drives and 2 fourth quarter comebacks along with scoring 23,27,20 and 35 points ranking 5th in Scoring

Tannehill leads the NFL with 71.4 passes completed

Differences between Mariota and Tannehill

Ryan Tannehill: 3 game-winning drives in 4 starts with Tennessee

Marcus Mariota: 3 game-winning drives over last 24 starts with Tennessee

Ryan Tannehill:8 TD's thrown in last 4 games

Marcus Mariota:8 TD's thrown in last 24 games

Want to know something really bizarre......

Since starting in 1999 thru the present week 2019 the Tennessee Titans have won 175 games good for 12th out if 32 teams while Dallas is 11th with 176 wins and Minnesota is 10th with 177 wins,

So the Titans are 2 games from being top 10 in wins as a franchise DESPITE only having a QB play all 16 games just 2 seasons once in 2002 and once in 2011.

What an anomaly that the Titans have only had a QB play the whole season 2 seasons out of the 21 seasons they've been a franchise.

The Titans have managed to win games despite not having a long term answer at QB. In fact only Patriots,Colts,Steelers,Packers,Ravens,Eagles,Seahawks,Broncos,Saints,Cowboys & Vikings have more wins since '99

They've had over 20 QB's start for them since 1999 and only one QB was really good and that was Steve McMair.

The Titans had McNair '99 thru '05 then they drafted Vince Young in 2006,drafted Jake Locker in 2011 and Marcus Mariota in '15.

None have been the answer since McNair/.

still this team will not do anything this yr.

Maybe, Maybe not

The six best teams make the postseason. 4 division winners and 2 teams with best record after the division winners.

Six weeks are left and anything is possible......

AFC Playoff Picture

#1--New England--8-1

#2--Baltimore--7-2

#3--Houston--6-3

#4--Kansas City--6-4

#5--Buffalo--6-3

#6--Oakland--5-4

-------------------------------------

#7--Indy--5-4

#8--Pittsburgh--5-5

#9--Tennessee--5-5

Ryan Tannehill

Who would have expected that Ryan Tannehill would audition so well in an interim capacity that he would become the best choice to keep the Titans’ quarterback job permanently in 2020?

If Tannehill keeps playing as well as he has through four starts, who knows whether the Titans will be able to sign or draft someone immediately better – or why they would want to throw everything into trying?

Anyone else would be a gamble. Tannehill hasn’t been.

Barring him being injured or slumping to the finish line, the Titans should consider keeping Tannehill as a starter, signing him to a sizable (but not ridiculously expensive) extension, paying to boost the offense around him and perhaps drafting a backup quarterback to be groomed.

Tannehill, at 31, hadn’t seemed a long-term solution, even when it became clear that Marcus Mariota wasn’t going to be. But Tannehill is earning it on the field.

He has given the Titans new hope. Teammates are responding to him.

He led the Titans to three critical home victories, and statistically, he is enjoying the best of his seven seasons as an NFL starter. His 71.3% completion rate is behind only Drew Brees (74.3%) among QBs with at least 100 passes. His QB rating (104.4) is tied for sixth among NFL starters, two spots ahead of Aaron Rodgers, a dozen ahead of Tom Brady and 15 spots ahead of Mariota, whose completion rate was a paltry 59.1%.

Tannehill is indeed a legit NFL starter, one of the league's best 32 quarterbacks. But hadn’t he already proved that?

It was easy to forget that Tannehill started all 88 of his games in Miami. Because upon his being acquired by the Titans, he was locked in as the No. 2 quarterback.

Ultimately benching Mariota for Tannehill has been the best decision the Titans have made this season, but it was only because of the worst decision they made: not allowing Tannehill a chance to compete for the job in the first place.

2nd in completion percentage 71.3

6th in pass rating at 104.4

6th in TD% at 5.9

5th in pass yards averaged 8.5

6th in fourth quarter comebacks

4th in game winning drives with 3

9th in qb record at 3-1

Tannehill 2 TD passing and 2 TD rushing and leads Titans to 42 points and Tennessee now 6-5.

23,27,20,35 and 42 points since taking over as starter and Titans number one red zone TD team in NFL

2nd in completion percentage 71.3

6th in pass rating at 104.4

6th in TD% at 5.9

5th in pass yards averaged 8.5

6th in fourth quarter comebacks

4th in game winning drives with 3

9th in qb record at 3-1

Is This the Ryan Tannehill Breakout We’ve Been Waiting For?

Ryan Tannehill’s shockingly proficient play during the past six weeks has transformed the once-stagnant Titans’ offense the league’s most explosive unit.

The 31-year-old quarterback has picked apart defenses both through the air and on the ground in his five starts in relief of Marcus Mariota,  It may have come later than expected, but in Tennessee, Tannehill is finally having his breakthrough. He’s propelling the Titans toward a playoff berth and proving that he’s not quite ready to settle into life on the NFL’s veteran-backup circuit.

The 6-foot-4, 207-pound signal-caller has always exuded potential as a big, athletic, and accurate passer, but for most of his career, he’s been hamstrung by carousels of subpar coaches and coordinators.

After posting 123 touchdowns and 75 interceptions with an 87.0 passer rating in 88 starts in Miami, Tannehill was unceremoniously dealt to the Titans in March for a handful of late-round picks.

Midway through the Titans’ Week 6 loss to the Broncos, head coach Mike Vrabel made a crucial, season-swinging decision. Following an ugly Mariota third-quarter pick, Vrabel benched the team’s longtime starter and turned to the former Dolphin to create a spark.

In a 23-20 win against the Chargers the next week, it became clear that the veteran backup gives Tennessee what Mariota was supposed to provide but couldn’t. Tannehill finished 23-of-29 for 312 yards, two touchdowns in the victory. He consistently moved the chains by getting the ball out on time, distributed to his playmakers, and when needed, picked up yards with his legs.

If you were talking to someone who watched only his last five starts, it probably wouldn’t be tough to convince them he’s one of the league’s elite quarterbacks. In those five games, Tannehill has completed 72 percent of his passes (2nd) for 1,276 yards with 10 touchdowns and three picks; he’s averaged 9.25 yards per attempt (1st) while compiling a 114.9 passer rating(2nd).

The Titans have come alive with the veteran under center. Since Week 7, Tennessee has averaged 2.43 points per drive (6th) and 28.2 offensive points per game (second only to the Ravens). And as Sharp Football Stats notes, the team has led the NFL in both explosive pass rate and explosive run rate in that stretch.

Also Tannehill has led the Titans to the top ranking in red zone success with 75% of red zone trips resulting in TD's..

5 games Tannehill has started for Tennessee he has 3 game winning drives and 2 fourth quarter comebacks along with scoring 23,27,20,35 and 42 points ranking 2nd in scoring.

Derrick Henry and the ground game remain the foundation of Tennessee’s scheme, but Tannehill has helped unlock other facets of this offense. When Henry isn’t gashing defenses with explosive runs, Tannehill is tossing play-action bombs to take advantage of out-of-position defenders downfield.

The veteran quarterback has notched a 123.2 passer rating on play-action passes since taking over for the Titans (7th best among qualifying passers, per Pro Football Focus), and is averaging 13.3 yards per attempt (3rd) on those throws. Tennessee’s game plan in last Sunday’s 42-20 win against the Jaguars was a case study in the power of play-action.

Tannehill was just about perfect from those looks. He alternated between deep bombs, intermediate throws, and naked bootleg runs to keep the Jacksonville defense on its heels.

With Henry and the team’s run game rightly drawing the attention of opposing defenses, the Titans have built a whole suite of plays that exploit aggressive run defenders by heavily utilizing run fakes, throwing screens to the outside, or both.

Tannehill has also added another element to the offense with his speed. He has a Josh Allen–esque ability to scramble around for first downs or get outside the pocket on a bootleg and pick up chunk yards.

He’s been excellent operating within the structure of offensive coordinator Arthur Smith’s scheme, and that’s created plenty of opportunities for easy throws to wide-open receivers. When he’s been asked to make tough, tight-window throws that require both touch and velocity downfield, though, the veteran signal-caller has been up to the task.

After starting the season 2-4 under Mariota, Tennessee has won four out of its past five with Tannehill at the helm. In a muddled AFC wild-card race, it stands poised to make a run at the postseason.

Tannehill will need to keep playing like he has in the past five games if the Titans hope to keep this hot streak alive. Tannehill could make the well-balanced and suddenly explosive Titans one of the most dangerous dark-horse teams in the AFC.

AFC Playoff Picture

#1--New England--10-1   Remaining schedule: at Texans, Chiefs, at Bengals, Bills, Dolphins

#2--Baltimore--9-2           Remaining schedule: 49ers, at Bills, Jets, at Browns, Steelers

#3--Houston--7-4             Remaining schedule: Patriots, Broncos, at Titans, at Bucs, Titans

#4--Kansas City--7-4       Remaining schedule: Raiders, at Patriots, Broncos, at Bears, Chargers

#5--Buffalo--8-3               Remaining schedule: at Cowboys, Ravens, at Steelers, at Patriots, Jets

#6--Pittsburgh--6-5          Remaining schedule: Browns, at Cardinals, Bills, at Jets, at Ravens

-------------------------------------

#7--Oakland--6-5            Remaining schedule: at Chiefs, Titans, Jaguars, at Chargers, at Broncos

#8--Indy--6-5                   Remaining schedule: Titans, at Buccaneers, at Saints, Panthers, at Jaguars

#9--Tennessee--6-5        Remaining schedule: at Colts, at Raiders, Texans, Saints, at Texans

Are they going to sign him to big money? They pretty much have to.

They tried to sign him to a 2 year deal when he originally signed his contract but he wanted to bet on himself with a one year deal and as you can see it worked out for him as he has been playing awesome.

Rumors are he loves Tennessee wants to stay here BUT if they dont sign him to the big deal he wants he will go somewhere else and the big rumor is that one of the main teams interested are Chicago.

As good as Chicagos defense is all they need is a decent QB to go far. Trubuisky has fucked Chicago similar to how Mariota has screwed Tennessee with poor play.

Tennessee wasted six games on Mariota but they had to see whether he was worth keeping because he was on the last year of rookie deal.

In my opinion the Titans would be dumb to spend a first round pick on a new QB in 2020 especially since they have a good roster.

I doubt he goes to Chicago.  They would have to free up a lot of cash.  Trubisky is on the last year of his rookie contract in 2020 and the money for a QB was spent to improve other areas.  

I know you aren't gonna like hearing this but i've also heard Mariota being linked to Chicago as well and he will be a lot cheaper. I dont see why they would those as he is just as bad as Trubisky. If i were any NFL team i would stay away from Mariota.

We've now seen six starts by each #Titans QB...

Mariota: 59.1 %, 1,179 yards, 7 TD, 2 INTs, 25 sacks, 0 rush TDs, 7.4 yards per attempt, 16.3 points/gm (2-4)

Tannehill: 72.7%, 1,602 yards, 12 TDs, 4 INTs, 24 sacks, 3 rushing TDs, 9.1 yards per attempt, 29. 7 points/gm (5-1)

I know you aren't gonna like hearing this but i've also heard Mariota being linked to Chicago as well and he will be a lot cheaper. I dont see why they would those as he is just as bad as Trubisky. If i were any NFL team i would stay away from Mariota.

No one is going to be cheaper than Trubisky next year. I have no confidence in the bears developing a qb anyway.

Titans 6-0 overs since Tannehill has started. Amazing how much better Henry runs when teams have to respect the pass.

No one is going to be cheaper than Trubisky next year. I have no confidence in the bears developing a qb anyway.

Titans 6-0 overs since Tannehill has started. Amazing how much better Henry runs when teams have to respect the pass.

I've been a Titans fan since '99 and believe me i have been through hell and back dealing with inferior QB's ever since McNair left after '05.  Not sure when you guys drafted Trubisky but they need to bring in a vet QB and bench him he is killing a great defense. I think with a defense like Chicago's you guys could bring in a vet like Fitzpatrick who wont break the bank and he will get you enough points a game to put up W's.

Never realized how bad Mariota was until Tannehill started playing. Tennessee would be 10-2 or 9-3 IF Tannehill started all season.

Tannehill for the year is first in red zone sucess 92.3, second in NFL in passer rating 113.9 and second in completion percentage 72.7

A few good games and now Tannehill is hall of fame material??????   He is an above average QB and nothing more.....Problem is the 
QB position has sucked so bad in Tennessee for the last 10 years that anyone upgrade looks like a hall of famed.......While he is an ok QB, he isnt going to bring that team anywhere in the playoffs, that is if they make the playoffs.......    They have play Houston 2 times in the last 3 weeks....

Very good point you made.....

Derrick Henry in the six games started by Marcus Mariota: 113 carries for 416 yards (3.7 yards per carry), 4 TDs.

Derrick Henry in the six games started by Ryan Tannehill: 119 carries for 724 yards (6.1 yards per carry), 7 TDs.

Ryan Tannehill is just the second player in NFL history to have a passer rating over 130 for four straight games, joining 2015 Russell Wilson.#ProBowlVote @ryantannehill1

The Titans have scored 150 points and are 4-0 in their last 4 games. Scoring 35,42,31 and 42 points.

Titans are the number one red zone team in NFL

Tannehill leads the NFL in completion percentage and passer rating among all QB's

Titans had most total yardage in franchise history breaking the record they set two weeks ago. Two of their biggest yardage games ever have been in the last three weeks.

After being left for dead at 2-4 after playing Mariota for six games the Titans are now in tie for division lead at 8-5 having won 6 of their last 7 since Tannehill became starter

Also last but not least Tannehill threw a 91 yard TD today the longest of his career.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUUraDdUIf4