Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz Part 2: Predictions, Top Bets, and more.

HRWager News

One day after the trainer for Andy Ruiz Jr. said his fighter would again be 268 pounds for his defense against Anthony Joshua, the unified heavyweight titleholder was nowhere close at Friday's weigh-in -- tipping the scales at a staggering 283.7 pounds.  

No heavyweight has ever entered a title defense heavier except for 7-footer Nikolay Valuev, who was at least 310.75 pounds for each of the defenses he made over two title reigns in the 2000s.

Granted he was wearing a shirt and sombrero on the scale, but it was the heaviest that Ruiz (33-1, 22 KOs), 30, of Imperial, California, has weighed in at during his 10-year career since he was in the mid-290s for his first two professional fights.

"They made us wait until 4:30, almost 5 p.m. here. I already had ate breakfast, lunch and dinner. I had on a sombrero and all my clothes," Ruiz said after the weigh-in, which took place outdoors at the fight hotel in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, a little more than 24 hours before he and Joshua meet in an immediate rematch in one of the year's biggest fights. "A lot of people are saying that I came overweight or this and that. We had to wait so long. I probably put on like 10 pounds just eating and drinking normally today."