China virus probability problem

rito

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My only pushback on the way the question was asked was that it didn't provide what % of the population had been tested. For example, it could have included the following additional info in bold:

Assume 1% of people have the virus and X% of the population has been tested. (where X is defined)

Instead, it only included the first part:

Assume 1% of people have the virus.

My only pushback on the way the question was asked was that it didn't provide what % of the population had been tested. For example, it could have included the following additional info in bold:

Assume 1% of people have the virus and X% of the population has been tested. (where X is defined)

This is completely irrelevant.

I dont think that matters, the question said the test is 80% accurate, then it said  the test is positive what are the chances you are really positive? You've already declared an outcome - the outcome has an 80% chance of being right.

The question was not grab a random person and speculate about what it means if you're positive.

This is completely irrelevant.

That's fair I suppose, but for me it would've helped knowing the % tested because I got stuck on the idea that the 80% testing accuracy rate could potentially change as more people got tested. (For example, in relation to the current Covid crisis where most have not been tested and we're left to spitball real %'s.)

Essentially, I got stuck on the assumption that the 80% rate might have been based on an incomplete data set.. (i.e. < 100% of population) and thus I started adding in other variables into my probability equation to try and account for that.

However, I can understand why you or anyone else might find the need to know that info irrelevant or that I simply over complicated things in retrospect.

80% accurate means 4/5 people will get an accurate result. 1/5 won't. This includes false positives and false negatives.

Fine, but that doesn't mean if you're positive, there is only a 3.88% chance you really are.  . the fact that if you tested negative, you could still be positive is not applicable either.

80% accurate means 4/5 people will get an accurate result. 1/5 won't. This includes false positives and false negatives.

I understand that now. But again, I thought that 80% figure wasn't necessarily fixed but could be variable as more people got tested. That then led me down the fruitless road of introducing new variables into my probability equation which I could not solve for. My fault in over complicating matters, thanks for the opportunity.