Master stock pick thread

WVU

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, joeybagadonuts said:

ERB, be careful jumping into and out of the same stock within a 30 day period. Can fukkk you on taxes as some of your losses could be excluded from being deducted on the “wash sale “ rule. 

How bad is the tax bite on something like that?

I was thinking of doing the same thing as ERB but with Draft Kings. I'm already holding shares purchased at $22. But, it's at $61 now and it's good for $70+ again.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

How bad is the tax bite on something like that?

I was thinking of doing the same thing as ERB but with Draft Kings. I'm already holding shares purchased at $22. But, it's at $61 now and it's good for $70+ again.

Basically from what I gather, if I sold some of my one PENN position at a loss before 30 days, it wouldn't count against my wins on PENN i've made on my last trade.  

14 hours ago, ERBtheGREAT said:

Basically from what I gather, if I sold some of my one PENN position at a loss before 30 days, it wouldn't count against my wins on PENN i've made on my last trade.  

I like the terminology some of you use...wins , almost like it's gambling and not investing huh? :mutley

16 hours ago, zzmocashzz said:

it explains a bit in article, with what i gather its something about trading same stock over and over again in 30 day period

I have done this many times.  It didn't affect my tax bill unless turbo tax did it wrong

On 3/31/2021 at 11:36 AM, zzmocashzz said:

think we need the forum accountant to chime in

the wash sale rule is something to be aware of

buy penn for $140k

sell 3 months later for $110k

rebuy the next day for $100k

in that case you have a $30k loss... but you can't claim it until you sell the stuff that you rebought for $100k... on that batch your new cost basis is $130k