Master stock pick thread

WVU

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/21/2021 at 12:04 AM, rjt said:

Bought FUNFF at .92 today.  Canadian gambling/esports play.  Canada sports betting bill expected to pass in coming months.  TSCRF should also continue to run up

FUNFF starting to take off.  Canada is voting on sports betting bill today before it goes to the senate.  Big position for me

16 minutes ago, WVU said:

remember stocks held for longer than a year and sold will only cost about 10% in taxes.  Less than a year and it is your normal tax rate which is likely about 30%

Don’t you think most all posters in this thread would fit in the 15 percent group for LTG?  
Plus any applicable state taxes.   Dreading calculating crypto taxes.  At least I’m in a no state income tax state.  

10 minutes ago, IAG said:

Don’t you think most all posters in this thread would fit in the 15 percent group for LTG?  
Plus any applicable state taxes.   Dreading calculating crypto taxes.  At least I’m in a no state income tax state.  

you are probably right.  Either way, this taxing method is archaic and needs tweaked.  I learned today that many short sellers don't pay taxes on gains like everyone else because of some dumb loophole.

25 minutes ago, IAG said:

I'm assuming you check the box on your return stating you have Crypto? 

WVU - you check that box?

Would you check the box if I've never deposited or withdrew money from Crypto? Won money in JF, had someone pay me and pay people out of that. I did have gains on it though by the time I sent it out.

36 minutes ago, WeinkeToWarrick said:

Is TWST still gonna be a 1k stock? Is it time to bail on CLOV? Is it time to take profits on STPK and be done?

I need answers please 

I ended up breaking exactly dead even on CLOV. I was up over 50% on the stock at one time (couple months ago) and then sold when it hit my cost average. One rule I've tried to learn by the past year or so is don't turn a winning stock into a losing stock. I do still think it goes $20+ but the opportunity cost of holding vs. something else to me isn't worth it anymore. Just my opinion but you can do whatever you want. I added more to TRCH and will hold until mid-March and sell at $10

14 minutes ago, brokerstip said:

Would you check the box if I've never deposited or withdrew money from Crypto? Won money in JF, had someone pay me and pay people out of that. I did have gains on it though by the time I sent it out.

Yes. I reported gains for 2017 and 2018  when 98 percent of people didn’t...then again I had a giant paper trail thru my bank and use mainstream exchanges..lol.  I wouldn’t have even considered not reporting...there was no box to check then.  Last year they put the box on a schedule,  and now they are putting front and center. 

I would rather be safe than sorry and check it.  I don’t know how much in gains  you are talking about, and what your offramp (to fiat) was, or if you just paid other people with it. Ultimately anything can  be traced back to most people.   Even if you don’t claim gains I would be skeered not to check box.  Pretty sure that’s under penalty of perjury...IRS has bigger fish to fry, but they are cracking down for sure. 

26 minutes ago, brokerstip said:

I wouldn't worry about a transaction between individuals, but if you bought coins on an exchange, say CoinBase, you definitely want to as the IRS forces coinbase to share info.