Should Titans Draft Mariota Or Stick With Mettenberger At QB?

Mike75

Titans head coach admits he likes things about Marcus Mariota the only thing though is Mariota comes from a all shotgun/spread offense where he throws passes to wide open receivers. Mariota doesn't fit what Whisenhunt runs on offense at all plus Whisenhunt is very rigid and doesn't change his offense for anyone. I do think he is bluffing about Mariota and hoping some team gives up multiple picks to move up.

However my question is this. Should Titans draft Mariota or stick with Mettenberger at QB?

Most who don't watch Tennessee have no idea how Mettenberger played so his stats are below..........

These were Mettenberger's numbers over the six game stretch that he played below. Remember he was a rookie who could possibly lose out to another QB.

In Mettenberger's first full game of action against Houston he went 27 of 41 completing 66 percent of his passes for 300 yards with two touchdowns,one interception and a 93.4 QB rating. Not bad for first full game.....

On the road against Baltimore in his second game he looked sharp in the first half leading the first few drives down the field he completed 16 of 27 passes with one touchdown and one interception.

In his third game against Pittsburgh he set a rookie record on MNF completing 15 of 24 passes for 263 yards including an 80 yard bomb for a TD ending the game with two touchdowns and one interception and a 110 QB rating. After the game even the Steelers defense complimented Mett on a great game.

Against Philly he threw for 345 yards including eight passes over twenty yards with two touchdowns and one interception and an 88 QB rating.

In his fifth game at Houston he completed 13 of 19 passes completing 68 percent of his passes for 184 yards for one touchdown and one interception and a 95 QB rating.

Out of all six games he played only the last one against New York was bad mainly because of guys off the street playing on a poor offensive line ravaged by injuries.He completed 14 out of 24 passes for 125 yards and an interception.

Remember Mettenberger had a terrible offensive line,no run game and his team had worst defense in NFL. Despite this he played well. Imagine how he will play with more experience,healthy offensive line,better run game and an improved defense coached by Dick Lebeau ex Steelers coordinator....

Now don't forget before the 2014 draft Mettenberger was projected second round but fell to the sixth round due to various concerns like torn ACL. He was healed before he played in the six games. After looking at stats above do you keep Mettenberger or draft Marcus Mariota???

It's not as if those are the only options. Tennessee saying anything about Mariota is meaningless. This is a weak draft with one guy who everyone projects as a lock to make 5+ pro bowls and what that guy does is pressure QBs and disrupts the run game. You take Williams and enjoy. BPA is how Tennessee needs to draft imo. If they can manage a trade down with the Jets, get picks from what should be a deeper draft in 2016, that woils be nice. Tennessee, even in an awful division, is not likely winning anything this year, but in 2016 they could be getting competitive. Ole Justin Hunter either figures it out this year or could be done. So much talent, so little toughness.

Hey long time no see!! Yeah Justin Hunter has so much potential but he is definitely weak. Your right i hope like hell they draft Williams to put on the line with Casey.

Also gotta ask you something. We just got Orakpo. Do you think he can stay healthy and still be a force as a pass rusher?

Who do you hope Washington drafts in the first round???

Hey long time no see!! Yeah Justin Hunter has so much potential but he is definitely weak. Your right i hope like hell they draft Williams to put on the line with Casey.

Also gotta ask you something. We just got Orakpo. Do you think he can stay healthy and still be a force as a pass rusher?

Who do you hope Washington drafts in the first round???

Hey Mike missed your reply. I agree, take Williams, you've likeky got a pro bowl DL for 7-10 years. I desperately want the Skins to take Beasely, but after his workout he could move into the top 4. Beasely is a guy I wanted Washingon to get a year ago when it appeared he'd enter early. Then Darby or Dawson in round 2. If Mariota is there, I'd like to move a spot with the Jets or perhaps Clev. The Skins need Oline help so badly, if we could get Scherff and Erving in round one - in a trade for Clevs 1s - I'd be very pleased. Then in round 2 Id hope for Eli Harold. On Orakpo, he's a great guy, but he never developed another pass rush move and his injuries have taken a lot of his power. He had a half a sack in 7 games, I didn't want him back, but he's an easy guy to root for. A change of scenery may be good and perhaps they'll develop him better than Washingon was able to. He's so bad against the run and on bootlegs it's frustrating, but playing for contracts the last 2 years he may have been pressing to much for the sack rather than making the sound football play. I love Wright, I think he's got pro bowl potential, hopefully he breaks out this year -- I love Walker as well, he's the most underrated TE in the NFL imo.

I'd love it if Tennessee could trade down and get Amari Cooper or Kevin White at WR. Not sure of anyone saw yet that WR Harry Douglas went from Atlanta to Tennessee. In 2013 when Julio Jones was hurt Douglas caught 85 passes. The other WR in Tennessee are.... Kendall Wright who is a very underrated receiver who caught 94 balls in 2013 and 58 passes last year. Second rounder Justin Hunter could be great if he could add some toughness to his game. Delanie Walker is one of the best tight ends in the league. If Amari Cooper,Harry Douglas,Justin Hunter,Kendall Wright and Delanie Walker are the receiving corp and Tennessee keeps gunslinger Mettenberger i could easily see him putting up huge numbers at QB in 2015.

I was actually a member at two Titan forums so on one forum they have got Mariota on the brain. But the real diehards at the other forum that actually watch the games hope like hell Mettenberger keeps the job as starting QB. The only thing is Mettenberger only played six games and the defense was so bad they didn't win a game so there is a certain segment of the fanbase that think Mariota could change things. The only thing is Mariota comes from an all shotgun/spread based one read offense with wide open receivers and it will take him a while to learn and get adjusted.

Why draft Mariota when you already have Mettenberger who played in a pro style offense in the roughest conference in college football who went to Titans and lead a come from behind game winning drive in his very first preseason game. Threw for 300 yards and completed 66 percent of his passes in first regular season game setting a franchise rookie record. Then against Pittsburgh set a MNF rookie record for passing including an 80 yard bomb for a TD. Against Philly he threw for 345 yards including eight passes over twenty yards . The thing is he had a crappy line,no running game and no defense so he didn't have much to work with.

It has happened before where a franchise made the wrong move at QB. I certainly hope they keep Mettenberger and get a weapon on defense like Williams or a WR on offense. With a healthier team and Mettenberger playing all sixteen games things could turn around.

Another thing i've noticed outside of Tennessee is that Mettenberger is basically not even discussed among the rookie QB's who played well last year. Lots of football fans they know Bridgewater played well at times,Carr played good here and there,Bortles to be the first QB picked didn't really do much.

Mettenberger is definitely flying under the radar because he is a sixth round pick who played on a small market team that played bad last year. However i bet there are a lot of Jax fans that would trade Bortles for Mettenberger in a heartbeat.

It is tragic that Mettenberger might not get another opportunity in TN and get passed over for Mariota all because Mettenberger was a sixth round pick. The guy played well at times but his downfall could be his draft position.

If they do draft Mariota i'll be pissed,then i'll pray and hope for the best,lol.

Hey Mike missed your reply. I agree, take Williams, you've likeky got a pro bowl DL for 7-10 years. I desperately want the Skins to take Beasely, but after his workout he could move into the top 4. Beasely is a guy I wanted Washingon to get a year ago when it appeared he'd enter early. Then Darby or Dawson in round 2. If Mariota is there, I'd like to move a spot with the Jets or perhaps Clev. The Skins need Oline help so badly, if we could get Scherff and Erving in round one - in a trade for Clevs 1s - I'd be very pleased. Then in round 2 Id hope for Eli Harold. On Orakpo, he's a great guy, but he never developed another pass rush move and his injuries have taken a lot of his power. He had a half a sack in 7 games, I didn't want him back, but he's an easy guy to root for. A change of scenery may be good and perhaps they'll develop him better than Washingon was able to. He's so bad against the run and on bootlegs it's frustrating, but playing for contracts the last 2 years he may have been pressing to much for the sack rather than making the sound football play. I love Wright, I think he's got pro bowl potential, hopefully he breaks out this year -- I love Walker as well, he's the most underrated TE in the NFL imo.

I like Beasley too. Best pass rusher in the draft.

The 80 yard record TD pass was a blown coverage play to Washington, right? Pitt expects TN to run the half out and they get Washington free. Douglas was a strong addition, I'd like to have seen them pursue Shorts. If they go WR in the draft, Perriman is a freak that is moving up the mock drafts after his pro day. This WR class is loaded, people don't even list Diggs in the top 10, which is silly to me, but the class is just unbelievable. If you trust your scouting, you can get an elite WR later, if you're in love with White or Cooper you Likeky have to stay in the top 10 which leaves STL and NYJ as your possible trade partners. The Jags could take a WR, but Allen Robinson is a future #1 imo, while Lee/Hurns can battle for #2 and, perhaps you get DGB as your RZ target in round 2. Jags go Williams if the Jets move to 2. Oakland then has fowler, Beasely, White, or Cooper while Washington likely takes whichever pass rusher is left between Fowler and Beasely. Then you're up, each WR is there so you take White to stretch the field and open the middle for Walker/Wright/Douglas and in round 2 you take the best Olineman available and you should have the Jets #2 as well to take a corner like Jones or Peters to shut down lucks options as you try to build a roster that can compete with Indi. If Gurley falls, you have to take him and maximize the talent you're able to aquire for moving down. Bishop is fine, but Gurley is special and its a 2 RB league anyway. You get White pushing hunter for the deep threat and perhaps you bring out his best, white will compete and know the playbook inside and out from day 1.

Beasely, what a story. Not offered by the Vols despite dominating a summer 1 day camp in Knoxville, then he's a bust on offense before he finds his spot at DE. He was written off early by many. He's got the most relentless motor in college football.

Wrote this today on Titans forum in regards to the QB situation..........

Recently I went back and looked at a couple of Mariota's games and then went back and looked at Mett's in college. This is definitely coming down to if they think Mettenberger is someone they want to keep or take a chance on Mariota.

Regardless i think a lot of these QB's are rated way too high especially when they are merely good prospects and not elite. It is dangerous in my opinion because teams put way too much emphasis and stock into it and it does backfire especially on teams that have high draft picks like Tennessee this year......

Also lest we forget guess who was the second QB off the board in the 2011 NFL Draft? Jake Locker my friends. Guess who is the projected second QB off the board this year? Marcus Mariota,hmmmm. Also something even scarier is Mariota has many of the very same flaws Locker had back in 2011. Something to think about......

Before i'm criticized about my views on this i'm looking at it from both angles. Tennessee already has Mettenberger and he played better than a rookie normally plays in his first year and could really breakout in his second season. Mettenberger only played in six games but he broke some team and NFL rookie records and showed that he could play in the NFL.

Only thing is Tennessee had a really bad team,a high draft pick and a fanbase desperate for change which means this team could very well end up drafting Mariota and basically starting over. The reason i don't like this approach is the QB we have has already shown promise and is actually further advanced in many ways than Mariota was when he came out of college and into the NFL.

Also look at it like this. Because Mariota is projected to go in the first few picks in the first round quite a few fans already have this preconceived notion that this means Mariota is better than Mettenberger because Mettenberger was a projected second round pick that fell to the sixth round in the 2014 draft. Mariota is nowhere near as ready as Mettenberger was when he came out last year.

My concerns with Mariota is he played in a simplified spread offense strictly out of the shotgun. Now take into account Mettenberger came from a pro style offense against the top competition in college football. There are issues with Mariota's footwork in the pocket and also his vision when forced off his first read. He also struggles with throws to the sidelines and with his deep ball. He also threw a lot of short passes as well. Accuracy could be an issue as he missed too many open receivers at times. This worries me because he will have to get the ball into tighter windows.

Meanwhile Mettenberger exhibited an advanced pocket presence and the ability to maintain his timing and mechanics in the face of pressure. He understands defensive coverages as well as pre-snap and post-snap reads.He also has good field vision and progression and makes quick decisions. Mett also has the ability to audible and change plays and protections at the line of scrimmage depending on the defensive look. He threw the deep ball accurately as well as anyone and also completed 65 percent of his passes and very few were short throws. 50 percent of his passes were ten yards or longer.

Once you read all of this you suddenly realize Mariota is gonna have to sit and learn some because throwing him out there early will not be pretty. The guy in my opinion has potential but he has a lot to digest in the pros.

So i've stated my reasons why i think it would be a mistake to draft Mariota. I do think the team needs to keep Mett and see if he continues to progress in 2015. The team would be much better in the long run by either picking Leonard Williams to strengthen the defense. Draft a WR to give Mett a true game breaking weapon. They could also trade down and let some other desperate QB needy team take Mariota and take all the picks they get from this and plug some holes they have at different positions.

For reference

Super Bowl 1. Bart Starr (MVP), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 2. Bart Starr (MVP), 1 TD

Super Bowl 3. Joe Namath (MVP), 0 TDs

Super Bowl 4. Len Dawson (MVP), 1 TD

Super Bowl 5. John Unitas (Chuck Howley), 1 TD

Super Bowl 6. Roger Staubach (MVP), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 7. Bob Griese (Jake Scott), 1 TD

Super Bowl 8. Bob Griese (Larry Csonka), 0 TDs

Super Bowl 9. Terry Bradshaw (Franco Harris), 1 TD

Super Bowl 10. Terry Bradshaw (Lynn Swann), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 11. Ken Stabler (Fred Biletnikoff), 1 TD

Super Bowl 12. Roger Staubach (Harvey Martin & Randy White), 0 TDs

Super Bowl 13. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 4 TDs

Super Bowl 14. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 15. Jim Plunkett (MVP), 3 TDs

Super Bowl 16. Joe Montana (MVP), 1 TD

Super Bowl 17. Joe Theismann (John Riggins), 2 TDs,

Super Bowl 18. Jim Plunkett (Marcus Allen), 1 TD

Super Bowl 19. Joe Montana (MVP), 3 TDs

Super Bowl 20. Jim McMahon (Richard Dent), 0 TDs

Super Bowl 21. Phil Simms (MVP), 3 TDs

Super Bowl 22. Doug Williams (MVP), 4 TDs

Super Bowl 23. Joe Montana (Jerry Rice), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 24. Joe Montana (MVP), 5 TDs

Super Bowl 25. Jeff Hostetler (Ottis Anderson), 1 TD

Super Bowl 26. Mark Rypien (MVP), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 27. Troy Aikman (MVP), 4 TDs

Super Bowl 28. Troy Aikman (Emmitt Smith), O TDs

Super Bowl 29. Steve Young (MVP), 6 TDs

Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman (Larry Brown), 1 TD

Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre (Desmond Howard), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 32. John Elway (Terrell Davis), 0 TDs

Super Bowl 33. John Elway (MVP), 1 TD

Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner (MVP), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD

Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD

Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs

Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs

Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD

Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD

Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs

Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD

Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs

Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson, 2TDs

So you're banking on the like 3% chance a bad QB wins the SB for you, ok

Never mind the fact that in the last 8 years passing is up 60% league wide, it's not 3 yards and a cloud of dust

That's an irrational response. You gave a faulty premise. I am not banking on anything. Quite simply, you don't have to have a top QB to win a SB. I'm sorry it bothers you.

I drew you in, Mr Mac. You gave a faulty premise, so your syllogism fell apart.

Mr Mac: Syllogism???

Mr mofo: Your logic fell apart.

Major premise: You need a top QB to win a SB

Minor premise: Mark Rypien won a SB

Conclusion: Mark Rypien is a top QB

Your major premise was based on a faulty assumption. Classic fallacy.