Texas & Baseball

Jimmy Hoffa

Since the Texas governor has tossed out all the Covid nonsense I assume that the Rangers and Astros can sell all their tickets for the upcoming season.

They will have the opportunity to earn income from tickets, parking, souvenirs, hot dogs, soda, etc...

The Dodgers, Angels, A's, Padres and Giants all play in California which is nowhere close to reopening. Chicago Cubs and White Sox, no way they're selling tickets.

I forsee the issue of a potential competitive imbalance being made of this fact.

There is no salary cap in baseball...

Pretty sure baseball will follow the party line and limit crowds greatly since if they didn't teams from pussy states will be "scared". I see whimpy Mark Cuban said he wont let anymore than the current 3K fans into their games.

Trump derangement syndrome has now become Covid derangement syndrome.

2 minutes ago, Moldoveanu said:

whats wrong with letting people in the stadium its so freaking big and its outside  there are crowded buses and trains and when you go shopping there are lots of people too that people are close to each other but you wont let people sit in the stand thats so big makes no sense

Especially when 2/3ds of teams never come close to selling out except for opening day or perhaps a 4th of july game.

Most teams in red states will have far more than a few thousand, I would expect at least 15-20K in many places, even MN is talking about 10K to start. But we're only talking 2 teams in TX, FL, OH, MO each, plus AZ, GA, maybe a couple more, that's less than half the league.

the MLB is already plagued with competitive unbalance.

I can't believe that a few months of extra $ in a stream of revenue that doesn't even make up half of a franchise's income would change things too much.  There is the good old welfare system of revenue sharing to off set that and allow shitty AAA teams like the Pirates to field a roster that makes less than some individual players make per year, just so the owner can pocket the welfare money. 

it's going to be moot, most likely as the CBA expires after this year, and the players and owners are miles apart.  I don't think we see a full baseball season in 2022, maybe the whole season will be trashed.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

Keep in mind just a few short months ago the 49ers were forced to play their final few home games in Arizona. California is a mess.

I'm not sure if the Giants will even be playing home games.

Both New Mexico and NMSU did not play a home game this year do to their shit democrat governor.

On 3/3/2021 at 12:28 AM, Jimmy Hoffa said:

The Dodgers, Angels, A's, Padres and Giants all play in California which is nowhere close to reopening. Chicago Cubs and White Sox, no way they're selling tickets.

Looks like California will allow fans by opening day according to the state department of health.