OT: What is a Fair Price to Have a House Painted?

Jimmy Hoffa

6 minutes ago, milwaukee mike said:

my house was about that size and i was paying 5-6k every 5 yrs before i got new siding

now i'm guessing around here it would be 8-10k since it's tough to find anybody to do anything home-related

I was thinking 10k at the most.

Does that include everything, power washing, prep, small carpentry like sanding?

I'm hoping to find someone that will take cash and skip the tax...

My house is a little under 2000 sq ft and is a split level, I've painted it several times, it really doesn't take that much paint to recoat the same color(5-6 gallons), if i was motivated and had all the equipment ready i could paint it in 1.5-2 days. I dont do that however as my interest wanes after maybe 3 hrs so I paint basically 1 side per day(avoiding the sun matters too.

A bigger house like yours could be done in 3-4 days easy, trim could add extra however - trim is no fun at all.

17 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Got mine priced here recently.  The name company was around $7k.  The amigos were around $4 to $5k and I buy the paint.  One guy was so much cheaper than everyone else i am convinced he doesnt know what he is doing.  All included pressure wash, caulking, and trim.  

He may not know how to price a job(or size up the client), but he wants the work. that's what you want.

One time I went in sherwin williams to buy paint, I knew what I needed(5 or 6 gallons) but i played along with the gal who knew nothing about paint - she asked the size/style of my house and said it'll take 20-25 gallons - their paint is like $75 gallon(which would have cost $1500). i said thanks i'll think about it.  I went to menards and bought  a 5 gallon pail and an extra gallon for under $200, had some left over.

2 hours ago, mikeman said:

He may not know how to price a job(or size up the client), but he wants the work. that's what you want.

One time I went in sherwin williams to buy paint, I knew what I needed(5 or 6 gallons) but i played along with the gal who knew nothing about paint - she asked the size/style of my house and said it'll take 20-25 gallons - their paint is like $75 gallon(which would have cost $1500). i said thanks i'll think about it.  I went to menards and bought  a 5 gallon pail and an extra gallon for under $200, had some left over.

$75/gallon.  Yikes.  I got a contractor account so get a nice per gallon discount

50 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

$75/gallon.  Yikes.  I got a contractor account so get a nice per gallon discount

That's their regular price, they usually have discounts of maybe 30% - it still costs about $50 gallon, good paint at home places can be had for maybe $30 on sale.

3 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Got mine priced here recently.  The name company was around $7k.  The amigos were around $4 to $5k and I buy the paint.  One guy was so much cheaper than everyone else i am convinced he doesnt know what he is doing.  All included pressure wash, caulking, and trim.  

That's what I'm running into DS.

I want it to look good and I don't want to have it re-painted again anytime soon. I usually opt for the cheapest route but in this matter I want the best outcome possible.