I have a big problem guys, what should I do with my cat?

mikeman

I've had my cat Walter for almost 8 years now, he's the nicest cat you'll ever find, he likes everyone. For the last 3 yrs he's had diabetes which requires twice daily insulin, special food, extra vet visits, etc. At the last visit they told me he has kidney disease as well.

So here's the problem, as a diabetic cat he pee's a lot, maybe 5-6-7 times/day, about a week ago i noticed there was hardly any urine lumps in the litterbox and thought oh oh his kidneys are failing, turns out i was wrong - he's been peeing just fine, just not in the box, he's been going on the basement carpeting just 5-6 ft from his box in the laundry room - and guess what, it stinks bad.

I've tried yelling at him, taking him down there and rubbing his face in the carpet, stern chats, the whole shebang. If I follow him downstairs when he's heading that way he see's me and goes in his box but if I'm gone or overnight it's hit or miss, he might go in the box, he might not, and it's happening almost every day.

What should I do? I dont want to put him down but i cant have a cat that pisses on my carpeting long term, or even long short term.  I dont know how old he is but I'm guessing around 12.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, RaiseThese said:

Try a bigger/or more shallow   litter box.

Maybe he doesnt like the effort to step into it.

I tried emptying all the litter, washing the box and refilling - it's a clean and pretty litter box - didn't seem to matter. he's very spry, jumps around just fine, the 1 inch step into it isn't the issue because he never poops outside the box, just the urine.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

He's sick Mike. One of our cats was acting the same before he passed.

Take him in 

I know that - he's got diabetes and recently developed kidney disease - I looked up the symptoms of that and one was going outside the box - so that's likely it, but there's really no cure for it and treatments cost a fortune - stuff like putting him on IV's in the animal hospital for a week or so hoping his kidneys improve.  That would cost thousands.

The problem is he's not a senile cat, he knows what he's doing and goes in his box most of the time, but even once/day is way, way too much.

3 minutes ago, mikeman said:

I know that - he's got diabetes and recently developed kidney disease - I looked up the symptoms of that and one was going outside the box - so that's likely it, but there's really no cure for it and treatments cost a fortune - stuff like putting him on IV's in the animal hospital for a week or so hoping his kidneys improve.  That would cost thousands.

The problem is he's not a senile cat, he knows what he's doing and goes in his box most of the time, but even once/day is way, way too much.

Dude you know you wanna kill him and are just looking for us to tell you that its ok.

22 minutes ago, mikeman said:

Do they have dialysis for cats?

2 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

Do they have dialysis for cats?

Dont think so, but one of the problems with kidney disease is dehydration, there are therapies where they would hook up IV's or even have owners inject fluids subcutaneously. Vets are very expensive nowadays, just an exam and blood test runs a couple hundred, I cant imagine how much that stuff would cost. Last visit they said he has dental problems, recommended i have some of his teeth pulled, said it would cost like $1200(that's more than a human dentist would charge), I asked walter when i got home if he wanted his teeth pulled, i could tell he wasn't keen on the idea.

1 hour ago, mikeman said:

Dont think so, but one of the problems with kidney disease is dehydration, there are therapies where they would hook up IV's or even have owners inject fluids subcutaneously. Vets are very expensive nowadays, just an exam and blood test runs a couple hundred, I cant imagine how much that stuff would cost. Last visit they said he has dental problems, recommended i have some of his teeth pulled, said it would cost like $1200(that's more than a human dentist would charge), I asked walter when i got home if he wanted his teeth pulled, i could tell he wasn't keen on the idea.

You know what you want to do , you practically screaming for permission pal.

1 hour ago, mikeman said:

They have pet insurance.  Never gotten it for my dog, but I know it's available.  Might be worth looking into in that situation.