RIP Les Grobstein

Bigrunner

Chicago sports radio legend. His brain was like an encyclopedia when it came to Chicago sports.  My dad was one of his teachers for 4 years of high school. 

Les knew what he wanted to do in life at the age of 9. He walked the high school hallways with a tape recorder and a transistor radio.  

Footnote: He was a H.S. classmate of Sun Times political reporter and TV consultant Lynn Sweet.

43 minutes ago, FISHHEAD said:

Did he die during the blackhawks OVERTIME?

Les used to play a trivia game on his show called "pick your poison".  The caller chooses which sport football, baseball, baskets, or hockey. I chose football. The question was right up Fishtards alley. 

This Bear blocked a game tying FG attempt by GB's Chester Marcoal. The blocked kick was picked up by Marcoal who subsequently ran it in for the winning TD. Who was the Bear that blocked the kick?

6 minutes ago, Bigrunner said:

Les used to play a trivia game on his show called "pick your poison".  The caller chooses which sport football, baseball, baskets, or hockey. I chose football. The question was right up Fishtards alley. 

This Bear blocked a game tying FG attempt by GB's Chester Marcoal. The blocked kick was picked up by Marcoal who subsequently ran it in for the winning TD. Who was the Bear that blocked the kick?

Only radio show I ever called. Up late one night and he was talking obscure trivia

I called in with my favorite Trivia question at the time. 

Name the 3 Rookie of the year winners in bases,football,hoops. They all had the initials A.D

he got it within 10 secs

25 minutes ago, Chi_Archie said:

Only radio show I ever called. Up late one night and he was talking obscure trivia

I called in with my favorite Trivia question at the time. 

Name the 3 Rookie of the year winners in bases,football,hoops. They all had the initials A.D

he got it within 10 secs

That's a good one. I looked up the baskets ROY. Forward at N.D. prior to Kelly Tripucka I believe? I thinking the football rookie was Anthony Dorsett? Baseball rookie has me stumped currently. 

8 hours ago, Bigrunner said:

Chicago sports radio legend. His brain was like an encyclopedia when it came to Chicago sports.  My dad was one of his teachers for 4 years of high school. 

Les knew what he wanted to do in life at the age of 9. He walked the high school hallways with a tape recorder and a transistor radio.  

Footnote: He was a H.S. classmate of Sun Times political reporter and TV consultant Lynn Sweet.

Listened to him every night.  He has family in Lakeside, across the lake.