I just filed my taxes

mikeman

I usually file with turbo tax, until this year it's been free because of my status with my mutual fund co/brokerage. This year they ended the free filing and only give a discount - a crappy $20 off. Because of my stock trading , etc i have to use their premier version and because I had w-2-g's from gambling I have to file Wisconsin taxes in addition to MN.

Anyway Turbo tax wanted $140 to file - F'n thieves.

So i searched around and ended up using Jackson Hewitt, they charge a flat fee of $25 for both fed and state, their interface seemed just fine too.

A word to the wise.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

I'm sick of Turbo Tax trying to upsell you on their useless products when you just want to complete your return.

Yup, tax act was just a smidge cheaper than turbo, tax slayer might have ended up being around $65, that was plan B till I found this jackson hewitt outfit. The scam is they all want an extra $25-39 for each state return, this year I have two.

40 minutes ago, mikeman said:

Yup, tax act was just a smidge cheaper than turbo, tax slayer might have ended up being around $65, that was plan B till I found this jackson hewitt outfit. The scam is they all want an extra $25-39 for each state return, this year I have two.

We don't file state taxes here so Jackson Hewitt might be the way to go.

27 minutes ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

We don't file state taxes here so Jackson Hewitt might be the way to go.

Hewitt doesn't charge extra  for the state, that's why they're so much cheaper.  One thing they dont have is direct import of data from fund co's/brokerages. Mine wasn't too bad to type in manually, if you had hundreds of sales it would be a huge pain.

9 hours ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

I haven't done my own taxes in over a decade and never will again.

My accountant does it all with power of attorney too.

If I ever get audited, I'm covered.

especially if you have weird stuff like me (crypto transactions, etc) it's better to have a paid preparer sign

and no matter how much of an expert someone is, another set of eyes never hurts

9 hours ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

I haven't done my own taxes in over a decade and never will again.

My accountant does it all with power of attorney too.

If I ever get audited, I'm covered.

I am the same on Tuesday April 5th he will come to my home at 200PM and will leave about 800PM and I am only out 2 bottles of wine(+ some snacks) and 3k for the day.