Anyone ever build new house?

brokerstip

5 minutes ago, brokerstip said:

Trying to find a spreadsheet to make sure I capture all costs related to building a new house. I'm currently planning to GC the project and save 15-20% off the top. 

broker, I have not, but certainly on my short term plans

but im aiming for a 2 story cabin in the woods... mostly logs/wood

1 hour ago, HurryUpAndDrink said:

broker, I have not, but certainly on my short term plans

but im aiming for a 2 story cabin in the woods... mostly logs/wood

Hurry if you can get you and the misses to NC  I’ll gift you free access to my log cabin in the smokies.

no, but if you do this, please use this thread as a regular update blog. I'd love to follow along

I've limped along as GC on a few rehab projects on investment properties and Complete gut to the bone project for our previous family home.

I am more than willing now to pay that position well now, as wrangling all the trades,  coordinating the materials, timing, as well as negotiating the corrupt red tape of inspections as an outsider is not worth the savings anymore.

1 hour ago, brokerstip said:

Trying to find a spreadsheet to make sure I capture all costs related to building a new house. I'm currently planning to GC the project and save 15-20% off the top. 

Never built a house. But did residential masonry construction for 16 1/2 yrs. 

1 hour ago, Chi_Archie said:

no, but if you do this, please use this thread as a regular update blog. I'd love to follow along

I've limped along as GC on a few rehab projects on investment properties and Complete gut to the bone project for our previous family home.

I am more than willing now to pay that position well now, as wrangling all the trades,  coordinating the materials, timing, as well as negotiating the corrupt red tape of inspections as an outsider is not worth the savings anymore.

+1

Heard of horror stories of people trying to be the GC to save a few bucks from my friends in the trades

Buy some land and then 6-7 dumpy trailers - they'll run maybe $5K each - connect them all so they're end to end, knock out the walls between them and you'll have a house 14 ft wide and 500 ft long. prob only need to connect the utilities to 3 of them(the 2 ends and one near the middle). It'll be classy as heck. :cigar

1 hour ago, mikeman said:

Buy some land and then 6-7 dumpy trailers - they'll run maybe $5K each - connect them all so they're end to end, knock out the walls between them and you'll have a house 14 ft wide and 500 ft long. prob only need to connect the utilities to 3 of them(the 2 ends and one near the middle). It'll be classy as heck. :cigar

Shut the fuck up trashball