Crypto taking a beating

redstripe

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, WeinkeToWarrick said:

Not your keys not your coins

If you don’t hold the private keys you don’t understand bitcoin. And it’s not actually yours. 

IAG, get some ledgers and do it the right way. Keeping your balance on exchanges is keeping the price suppressed 

That’s not true.  I understand BTC…lol. I have private key on my XTZ that’s it.    I don’t deal with Conbase…but I have faith in Gemini.   As far as suppressing the price,  I doubt my amount of crypto not indicating diamond hands by being on an exchange is significantly affecting BTC price.  Lol.   And after watching LUNA, I want my shit at the ready if necessary. 

12 minutes ago, IAG said:

That’s not true.  I understand BTC…lol. I have private key on my XTZ that’s it.    I don’t deal with Conbase…but I have faith in Gemini.   As far as suppressing the price,  I doubt my amount of crypto not indicating diamond hands by being on an exchange is significantly affecting BTC price.  Lol.   And after watching LUNA, I want my shit at the ready if necessary. 

It works the same as the stock market. Brokers (exchanges) can lend out your shares (coins) for people to use to short. So sure you can argue you amount isn’t going to impact things much but if everyone thinks like you …. You get it  

39 minutes ago, IAG said:

Ya it’s not about faith in the exchange. It’s what Joey said, they are all operating a fractional reserve. 

If there were ever a run on the bank, really good chance an exchange wouldn’t actually have the bitcoin available that people think they have. They’d begin issuing IOU’s or just rejecting withdraws, and at that point what’s the difference between bitcoin and the dollar. 

for being a veteran of the space, you really should take the time to better understand not just the philosophical and financial need for bitcoin, but the importance of holding your own keys as it relates to that ideology.

If one person thinks their single coin being withdrawn wouldn’t make a difference, they’re right.

but like Joey said, what if that is the prevailing mindset amongst another 200k people. if the supply were truly illiquid to major players and exchanges because the coins were literally being held in other people’s wallets, the price would climb exponentially as FTX/Coinbase/Binance, and all the others would be forced to replenish reserves at higher buy prices or face insolvency.

6 minutes ago, WeinkeToWarrick said:

If one person thinks their single coin being withdrawn wouldn’t make a difference, they’re right.

but like Joey said, what if that is the prevailing mindset amongst another 200k people. if the supply were truly illiquid to major players and exchanges because the coins were literally being held in other people’s wallets, the price would climb exponentially as FTX/Coinbase/Binance, and all the others would be forced to replenish reserves at higher buy prices or face insolvency.

:bulb

15 minutes ago, WeinkeToWarrick said:

I hear ya…that makes sense.I I understand fractional reserves, but again, the likelihood of me misplacing a ledger or forgetting where my private keys are locked away is very high.   I can’t stress this enough.  I lose things.  I lost 2 oz of gold once!   I would like to aid the greater good, but I know myself. 

Also, If there was a run on Tether or other stable coins, I would imagine it would be quick, and make the Luna  situation look like child’s play.   I want to be able to be as close to the the front of the sell line as possible.   I don’t want to be fiddling with devices and/or  typing in ten seed words.   
Once I get fully unpacked from the move and taxes done, I will think on it..once had like 300k on the old Binance and got locked out…couldn’t even get site to come up, so I get it,,  Scared the shit out of me….so I bought a ledger…and like I said, haven’t used it..  Maybe it’s quicker to move from ledger to exchange than I think?   but I think I would want to keep it in a safety deposit box or something, which would make it tough to act quickly if necessary.

If it’s on an exchange, it isn’t yours. It just isn’t. That’s what you need to recognize and then you’ll probably very quickly realize that there are plenty of ways and suggestions for how to store your cold wallet/keys. Transferring from a ledger back to an exchange doesn’t take long, but that said, if you’re the type to panic sell you haven’t come around yet to understanding and valuing bitcoin yet anyway. 

1 hour ago, WeinkeToWarrick said:

If it’s on an exchange, it isn’t yours. It just isn’t. That’s what you need to recognize and then you’ll probably very quickly realize that there are plenty of ways and suggestions for how to store your cold wallet/keys. Transferring from a ledger back to an exchange doesn’t take long, but that said, if you’re the type to panic sell you haven’t come around yet to understanding and valuing bitcoin yet anyway. 

So, I have no clue about crypto. Just keep buying the 4-pay pal offers. 

I usually buy equal of each of the 4 

In your opinion should I be just buying more bitcoin or keep the buying equal?

Also, to IAG f you don't mind. 

Would love to hear both of your thoughts 

Thanks 

13 minutes ago, redstripe said:

So, I have no clue about crypto. Just keep buying the 4-pay pal offers. 

I usually buy equal of each of the 4 

In your opinion should I be just buying more bitcoin or keep the buying equal?

Also, to IAG f you don't mind. 

Would love to hear both of your thoughts 

Thanks 

You should read up on the projects..I would put majority into BTC and then eth.  I dk what LTC has done lately.  Many Other promising coins. I just sent you the PayPal info because it was the easiest way for you to acquire some, but if you w ant, I can walk you through the process sometime over the phone. I think I gave you the names of several exchanges to sign up at. I don’t know if you ever did that. Not every exchange carries all coins but you really need to put in the time in research. I lived and breathed crypto for two years, and it paid off. Just because I don’t use private keys or a ledger doesn’t mean I don’t understand the value of bitcoin (lol) or am a panic seller…unless Tether implodes..then I might be one,   

then u can decide where you want to store them.

4 minutes ago, IAG said:

You should read up on the projects..I would put majority into BTC and then eth.  I dk what LTC has done lately.  Many Other promising coins. I just sent you the PayPal info because it was the easiest way for you to acquire some, but if you w ant, I can walk you through the process sometime over the phone. I think I gave you the names of several exchanges to sign up at. I don’t know if you ever did that. Not every exchange carries all coins but you really need to put in the time in research. I lived and breathed crypto for two years, and it paid off. Just because I don’t use private keys or a ledger doesn’t mean I don’t understand the value of bitcoin (lol) or am a panic seller…unless Tether implodes..then I might be one,   

then u can decide where you want to store them.

Thanks :cheers. I will be by in the afternoon to fix the dryer . 

Bitcoin is all you should be buying, but “purchasing” it on PayPal isn’t buying it. It’s giving PayPal authority to issue you an IOU that can be taken away if they or the government decides you don’t deserve payment on that IOU.

If you don’t mind a lack of web browser, voyager is super easy: 

https://voyager.onelink.me/WNly/referral?af_sub5=882411

Once you’ve setup an account and made a purchase on an actual exchange, you send to your cold storage wallet. I recommend a ledger:

https://www.ledger.com

from there, very easy to follow the instructions and set things up to transfer into your own possession. And ledger has a ledger live app that allows you to view your balance and take a few actions straight from your phone

understanding and implementing feels scary at first and altogether might take 30-60 minutes of time plus the wait for your funds to arrive, but it’s worth it. Your crypto balance on PayPal is nothing, a mirage.