Welcome to Minneapolis

sleepy

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Published 

Minneapolis teachers union agreement stipulates White teachers be laid off first, regardless of seniority

The agreement, reached last spring, exempts teachers from 'underrepresented' populations from seniority-based layoffs

An agreement between the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers union and the school district states that White teachers will be laid off before teachers of color, regardless of their seniority.

The agreement, which was reached to end a two-week teacher strike last spring, says that starting this school year, "if excessing a teacher who is a member of a population underrepresented among licensed teachers in the site, the district shall excess the next least senior teacher, who is not a member of an underrepresented population."

Excessing teachers is the process by which staff are reduced at a particular school due to a drop in enrollment, funding or other reasons.

The agreement further goes on to say that when reinstating teachers, "the District shall prioritize the recall of a teacher who is a member of a population underrepresented among licensed teachers in the district."

According to the agreement, the purpose of the policies is to solve for "past discrimination" by the district, which the agreement said "disproportionately impacted the hiring of underrepresented teachers in the District, as compared to the relevant labor market and the community, and resulted in a lack of diversity of teachers."

According to the Star Tribune, 50 teachers of color will be losing their positions this fall due to cuts tied to enrollment losses.

In a summary of the agreement, the union says the policies will move the district "closer to safe and stable schools."

"Students need educators who look like them and who they can relate to," the document says. "This language gives us the ability to identify and address issues that contribute to disproportionately high turnover of educators of color."

Edward Barlow, a band teacher and member of the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers executive board, told the Star Tribune that the agreement can be a "national model" for finding ways to retain teachers of color.

The agreement states that these policies will no longer be in effect when the diversity of teachers in the district represent that of the community and labor market.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:
Published August 15, 2022 2:27pm EDT

Minneapolis teachers union agreement stipulates White teachers be laid off first, regardless of seniority

The agreement, reached last spring, exempts teachers from 'underrepresented' populations from seniority-based layoffs

An agreement between the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers union and the school district states that White teachers will be laid off before teachers of color, regardless of their seniority.

The agreement, which was reached to end a two-week teacher strike last spring, says that starting this school year, "if excessing a teacher who is a member of a population underrepresented among licensed teachers in the site, the district shall excess the next least senior teacher, who is not a member of an underrepresented population."

Excessing teachers is the process by which staff are reduced at a particular school due to a drop in enrollment, funding or other reasons.

The agreement further goes on to say that when reinstating teachers, "the District shall prioritize the recall of a teacher who is a member of a population underrepresented among licensed teachers in the district."

According to the agreement, the purpose of the policies is to solve for "past discrimination" by the district, which the agreement said "disproportionately impacted the hiring of underrepresented teachers in the District, as compared to the relevant labor market and the community, and resulted in a lack of diversity of teachers."

According to the Star Tribune, 50 teachers of color will be losing their positions this fall due to cuts tied to enrollment losses.

In a summary of the agreement, the union says the policies will move the district "closer to safe and stable schools."

"Students need educators who look like them and who they can relate to," the document says. "This language gives us the ability to identify and address issues that contribute to disproportionately high turnover of educators of color."

Edward Barlow, a band teacher and member of the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers executive board, told the Star Tribune that the agreement can be a "national model" for finding ways to retain teachers of color.

The agreement states that these policies will no longer be in effect when the diversity of teachers in the district represent that of the community and labor market.

If student need educators that look like them, why are blacks living in Minnesota?   I’ve never heard of that logic before, just awful.

2 hours ago, FairWarning said:

If student need educators that look like them, why are blacks living in Minnesota?   I’ve never heard of that logic before, just awful.

absolutely

"diversity" turned into blacks first, and gays first

blacks are constantly whining about "someone that looks like me"... who cares what they look like, are they intelligent and doing a good job, that's what matters... just like the tv show "big brother", it's infuriating because all the black women now say they will never vote off a black woman, just total racist garbage

20 hours ago, milwaukee mike said:

absolutely

blacks are constantly whining about "someone that looks like me"... who cares what they look like, are they intelligent and doing a good job, that's what matters... just like the tv show "big brother", it's infuriating because all the black women now say they will never vote off a black woman, just total racist garbage

I’m on another site, Minn libs supporting this decision. 

• 5 weeks later...

Minnesota attorney general keith ellison blames minneapolis business for high crime - investigates them because the drug addicts rule the streets. Yup, it's not the mayors fault, not the police's fault, it's those dam business's.

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/prosecutors-investigate-2-north-minneapolis-businesses-at-center-of-crime-hotspot/

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison says the liquor store and the gas station have “been the sites of numerous acts of gun violence,” including two separate shootings earlier this month totaling eight people shot and one fatality.

Ellison calls the area between the two businesses “one of the city’s largest open-air drug bazaars.”

“Everything from shootings to drug dealing,” he explains. “Public consumption of alcohol, public consumption of drugs, drug dealing.”

Ellison says he’s launching a civil investigation with the assistance of the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office to see if the liquor store and the gas station are “maintaining or permitting an unlawful presence on their properties” and to see if they are taking steps to address any unlawful behavior.

On 8/15/2022 at 8:54 PM, milwaukee mike said:

absolutely

We just need Donnie back in office, he'll solve everything, right??

36 minutes ago, mikeman said:

Minnesota attorney general keith ellison blames minneapolis business for high crime - investigates them because the drug addicts rule the streets. Yup, it's not the mayors fault, not the police's fault, it's those dam business's.

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/prosecutors-investigate-2-north-minneapolis-businesses-at-center-of-crime-hotspot/

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison says the liquor store and the gas station have “been the sites of numerous acts of gun violence,” including two separate shootings earlier this month totaling eight people shot and one fatality.

Ellison calls the area between the two businesses “one of the city’s largest open-air drug bazaars.”

“Everything from shootings to drug dealing,” he explains. “Public consumption of alcohol, public consumption of drugs, drug dealing.”

Ellison says he’s launching a civil investigation with the assistance of the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office to see if the liquor store and the gas station are “maintaining or permitting an unlawful presence on their properties” and to see if they are taking steps to address any unlawful behavior.

I got some great fall IPAs from that store at unbeatable prices some years back.  

38 minutes ago, mikeman said:

Is there really high crime there ? Downtown Minneapolis seemed really safe to me vs other “big cities “

1 minute ago, joeybagadonuts said:

Is there really high crime there ? Downtown Minneapolis seemed really safe to me vs other “big cities “

I hear there is, especially at night in certain areas, i dont go there, EVER, so i cant respond with detail or certainty. MN is extremely segregated generally, where I live and where I go there are almost no black people and if there are they are not ghetto.

26 minutes ago, mikeman said:

I hear there is, especially at night in certain areas, i dont go there, EVER, so i cant respond with detail or certainty. MN is extremely segregated generally, where I live and where I go there are almost no black people and if there are they are not ghetto.

Saw plenty , but other than one corner kinda close to where the t wolves play, didn’t see anything even remotely shady and felt 100% safe day and night walking around. 

53 minutes ago, joeybagadonuts said:

There's been an uptick in crime for sure, but I've just seen more loitering and drug use than anything else.  Feels like there's just more hostility towards white people as well since Fentanyl Floyd.  

1 hour ago, joeybagadonuts said:

Saw plenty , but other than one corner kinda close to where the t wolves play, didn’t see anything even remotely shady and felt 100% safe day and night walking around. 

My next door neighbor is a black guy, he's a lot like what was his name(clyde kinsy)? he has a pickup and he's out in his yard watering, trimming, etc constantly, a credit to his race! I think he's married to an asian woman.

• 1 month later...