I'm leaving deadwood

mikeman

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/22/2022 at 6:33 AM, IAG said:

Wow.   We went and did some touristy things yesterday.Bear Country USA and misc, and saw a TON of Wisconsin plates there.   Head West young man!

yeah we're in kentucky/tennessee for the next couple weeks... would much rather be in vegas where there is no humidity/bugs/allergies

heat index for the nascar races sat/sun in nashville looks like 103/104 jeez

1 hour ago, milwaukee mike said:

yeah we're in kentucky/tennessee for the next couple weeks... would much rather be in vegas where there is no humidity/bugs/allergies

heat index for the nascar races sat/sun in nashville looks like 103/104 jeez

Yikes, I will likely be in Nashville area mid July.  Hope it cools down!

4 minutes ago, mikeman said:

I'm in Clayton NM now, took a 9 mile hike up black mesa(rd trip) some beautiful views but it was hot hot hot. Only saw one other group - 2 women with little kids, on was prob 3, the other maybe 6, I dont know what they were thinking.

holy shit congrats on being able to walk 9 miles in the heat

granted i'm drinking cheladas and margaritas in a can instead of water on a walk like that, but either way i would be dead

Just now, milwaukee mike said:

holy shit congrats on being able to walk 9 miles in the heat

granted i'm drinking cheladas and margaritas in a can instead of water on a walk like that, but either way i would be dead

I had a backpack  with 1 20 oz pop, 1 can of beer, and a water bottle containing maybe 32 oz, used almost all of it. It was a 600 ft climb total alhough that was all in about 3/4ths of a mile. Will post a pic when I get back.

7 minutes ago, mikeman said:

I had a backpack  with 1 20 oz pop, 1 can of beer, and a water bottle containing maybe 32 oz, used almost all of it. It was a 600 ft climb total alhough that was all in about 3/4ths of a mile. Will post a pic when I get back.

.  I took a 45 min walk around the neighborhood this morning and am having chest pain.  Wtf.  Good for you!

1 hour ago, KingKolzig said:

you said like 2003 toyota something?

thats like 25 mpg

Sheet, I dont have an old jalopy like that- it's a 2008 corrola, practically brand new.  The car that broke a few months ago was a 2003 Mazda. On this trip 38 is my best, 34 my lowest - going about 73-75 typically.

On 6/21/2022 at 3:18 PM, mikeman said:

just checked in, I'm in ultra glamorous sidney NE, came the western way through wyoming via scottsbluff, my car is utterly filthy after driving 20 miles down some dirt road trying to get the the highest point in NE, I stopped and talked to some farmer on the road - he directed me, turns out if I went a different way I'd have only had maybe 4-5 miles of dirt.

JFC

I'm currently in colorado springs, todays agenda was the Capulan Volcano in NM - very nice, you can drive to the top and then hike down into the caldera. Also saw the great sand dunes in southern CO, what happened there made me shake my head - after driving 2000+ miles and visiting 7 states the sand dunes visitor center requires masks inside, the only place I've seen a mask this whole trip basically.. I was like WTF is wrong with these people, the monument is a couple hundred miles from liberal land around denver.

5 minutes ago, KingKolzig said:

was c.springs nice and clean?

were you impressed?

No, it was the only place i saw what appeared to be bums walking along roads(and even the highway) - I barely saw the town too, my motel was on the edge and I did drive around for a little while getting something to eat .

i drove close to 2000 miles off the interstate and drove through countless small towns, saw town after town that are virtually abandoned - I'm talking small rural towns in far west nebraska, wy, etc. You drive through and the buildings are straight out of the 1920's or 30's - all closed down and abandoned. In cities when places go out of business someone buys the land and a new building replaces it - in these towns no one wants the building or land so they just sit there, every town had a tiny little movie theater, almost all closed now. Kinda sad.

What i did see is almost every one of these dying towns has a  brand new dollar general  store - about the only building in town new except for a gas station.