I trimmed a tree

mikeman

6 minutes ago, KingKolzig said:

thats not a bad job a tree climber for a landscaper. likely $23/hr or so

i would have to be about 185 to do that. they make a ton of money i know its like $1500 to get a medium tree out of someones yard without the stump. takes a few hours. 

really $1500

4 hours ago, FairWarning said:

It cost me $3000 to remove a 100+ ft pine.  They earned their money

There were tree trimmers cutting a tree a couple houses down - up here the emerald ash borers are killing all the ash trees, anyway i walked down there and asked what they'd charge to top a pine, the guy came over and said $200, i asked if he could go any lower and he said no, i said nahh that's too much thanks anyway, he said ok and started walking away, then he turned around and said what did you want to pay, i said how about $150. he said ok and went and got the guy in the bucket truck - took   maybe 10-15 min to lop the top 30 ft or so,

I thought it was a very fair price, the guy told me if it was just me he would have charged $700, I'm sure they charged at least a grand to take down the other trees.

I really didn't want to do it myself because even if I climbed up half way and cut it, considering pines grow straight up there's no guarantee which way it would fall, it could fall on me or take down the ladder, etc.

18 hours ago, mikeman said:

There were tree trimmers cutting a tree a couple houses down - up here the emerald ash borers are killing all the ash trees, anyway i walked down there and asked what they'd charge to top a pine, the guy came over and said $200, i asked if he could go any lower and he said no, i said nahh that's too much thanks anyway, he said ok and started walking away, then he turned around and said what did you want to pay, i said how about $150. he said ok and went and got the guy in the bucket truck - took   maybe 10-15 min to lop the top 30 ft or so,

I thought it was a very fair price, the guy told me if it was just me he would have charged $700, I'm sure they charged at least a grand to take down the other trees.

I really didn't want to do it myself because even if I climbed up half way and cut it, considering pines grow straight up there's no guarantee which way it would fall, it could fall on me or take down the ladder, etc.

I have to get another pine out, messing with the house foundation.  Unfortunately, the power line to the house will have to be dropped.  I’m down to one ash tree needing removal, hoping that will cost 300 or so.

20 hours ago, mikeman said:

Lol,no way you would attempt to cut that tree down yourself.

1 hour ago, mikeman said:

Trust me, i considered it, cutting it is easy, the uncertainty as you wonder where it might fall is not so satisfying. you're like ..."oh boy, I hope this go's right".

Probably would be a misguided attempt to save money,that’s a dangerous job that is usually done by young men using either a bucket ladder or them climbing the trees in cork boots and safety harnesses.I have lots of trees on my property and they have never used a ladder except to delimb the lower branches.

you got a great deal at 150,I imagine you had to do the clean up yourself 

57 minutes ago, Dingo said:

Probably would be a misguided attempt to save money,that’s a dangerous job that is usually done by young men using either a bucket ladder or them climbing the trees in cork boots and safety harnesses.I have lots of trees on my property and they have never used a ladder except to delimb the lower branches.

you got a great deal at 150,I imagine you had to do the clean up yourself 

Yup, I took the branches/logs to the compost place already, it's free and I have the time.