Anyone invest in I bonds?

PatrickBateman

36 minutes ago, WVU said:

These bonds are paying great now, but what did they pay a few years ago?

I laddered I bonds from around 2000-2015 for my kids and I was pleased with the returns.

There's a .gov website where you can download a tracker. Put your bonds in monthly and it calculates the intrest, current values, maturity dates, etc... 

29 minutes ago, mikeman said:

It's a great investment if you're poor and only have $10-20K to invest, getting 10% with no risk is great.

they are great right now regardless of how poor you are... and you can do 10k/person/year

so family of 4, 12/31/2021 could put in 40k and then another 40k on 1/1/2022... so that's 80k in a 2-day stretch

37 minutes ago, joeybagadonuts said:

You’re missing the point. No normal investor buys them at their usual .5% or whatever. they aren’t long term holds. The rate is adjusted every 6 months. 

I am for sure missing the point.  But this is nothing more than a past posted investment.  This thread would have been handy 2 years ago.  But now?

6 minutes ago, WVU said:

I am clueless because I feel this thread would have been a better service 2 years ago?

the i bonds didn't start paying nice interest until nov 1 2021... so there was no real reason to buy them 2 years ago, you would've just been stuck making close to 0 interest for the first year

Date the inflation rate was set Inflation rate for six months
(See: When does my bond change rates?)
May 1, 2022 4.81%
November 1, 2021 3.56%
May 1, 2021 1.77%
November 1, 2020 0.84%
May 1, 2020 0.53%

any bonds bought before november 1, 2022 will get 9.62% annualized for the first 6 months... the next 6 months after that will be somewhere close... and then you could dump them

wvu is in florida where the tax benefit doesn't matter (for everyone else, interest on these bonds is TAX-FREE for state purposes)

safe and easy almost 10%/year, with the benefit of no state income tax, in a state like california that makes the interest worth over 11% compared to something else

3 minutes ago, PLB said:

Great 👍 Thank you.

good thread

doesn't matter if someone has $100, $1000, or $10,000... it's still good to make smart decisions and take a nice interest rate instead of just leaving cash in checking

mikeman pisses on $1000/yr interest yet goes out of his way to save $2 on expired meat, i don't get it

34 minutes ago, milwaukee mike said:

good thread

doesn't matter if someone has $100, $1000, or $10,000... it's still good to make smart decisions and take a nice interest rate instead of just leaving cash in checking

mikeman pisses on $1000/yr interest yet goes out of his way to save $2 on expired meat, i don't get it

That’s a major burn

1 hour ago, milwaukee mike said:

good thread

I haven't pissed anything away - the rates have been at 10% for a couple months, in the spring it was what - 4%?  So there's time.

2 hours ago, milwaukee mike said:

good thread

😂

2 hours ago, milwaukee mike said:

good thread

EXACTLY, everyone's finances  and investments fits a different criteria. 

For example, AXL has zero use for  I bonds

4 hours ago, milwaukee mike said:

any bonds bought before november 1, 2022 will get 9.62% annualized for the first 6 months... the next 6 months after that will be somewhere close... and then you could dump them

wvu is in florida where the tax benefit doesn't matter (for everyone else, interest on these bonds is TAX-FREE for state purposes)

safe and easy almost 10%/year, with the benefit of no state income tax, in a state like california that makes the interest worth over 11% compared to something else

Ok.  I’m in.