TIF. The insurance forum. Pissed off, need advice.

IAG

Got a renewal letter from Farmers  yesterday.  Have had auto and home policies with them spanning decades.  I pay twice per year on auto. Last premium was $683 I believe.   Opened renewal form and they want $1300+ every six months.   Went up $493 each six months.   I called to inquire, and they said it was because they had to add my bf on my policy since we live together.   He has his own vehicle and insurance policy, but he has two speeding tickets from Colorado on his DMV report.  (Mine never showed up btw WVU lol)   Somehow they found out he lives with me, and they require he be added to my policy.   He does use my car if we are distance driving, but that’s it.  I asked if we could just state he never uses my car and in the event an accident happened while he was driving, they would not be liable.  No go.   

It looks like it’s an individual insurance company decision.  I will not pay close to another $1000 a year for this.  Anyone have any experience with this or know what a good auto ins company is that I can call for quotes and inquire about their policy?     Even if everyone requires I list him, maybe their is a cheaper policy out there.  PITA.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, milwaukee mike said:

i've always been happy with STATE FARM

they might not be the cheapest, but the couple times i have had claims, they were always great... when neighbors were getting denied hail damage for their roofs, state farm approved ours

2 minutes ago, mikeman said:

I used amica for many years, they were great - 2 years ago i switched to progressive as they were cheaper on the homeowners. My latest premium is roughly $250(6 months) for the car and $1250(yearly) for the house.

Definitely check around.

Thanks.  I’ll check both out.  It just sucks that potentially moving in with him is going to cost me, even if he didn’t drive my car. 

What's happening lately is homeowners ins premiums are skyrocketing both due to house appreciation and all the hail claims, since most of the time you get a multiple policy discount I have to get both from the same co. For instance most co's are pretty close on my car(within maybe $50) but the homeowners are all over the board. i used to pay around $1100-1200 for home with decent coverage($1000 deduct), now those policies are closer to $2K, I had to raise my deduct to $5k and make other shitty policy options to keep my premium reasonable.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

Shop for new quotes and don't say a word about co-habitating with anyone.

If you have AAA call them and let them do the leg work in finding a better price. They'll e-mail it to you while you do something more fun.

Last time HE did that, they asked him.   I won’t bring it up, but if they ask, I suppose I have to tell them…apparently they  have ways to find out. I don’t have AAA, I have Farmers plan similar for $5/month.   I hate changing,  but this is nonsense. 

45 minutes ago, IAG said:

apparently they  have ways to find out.

Maybe they have access to your lease information or something?

I have a friend with a terrible driving record who registers his car at my address to beat the regional transit authority taxes in his area but his doing so has never affected my rates.

As far as insurance companies are concerned you're only roommates, nothing more...

1 hour ago, Alldayeveryday said:

I have AAA and they wanted to add my 2 daughters because they stay with me even though they have their own car & ins. I called them and they took them off but on my insurance policy it states they are EXCLUDED from driving my vehicle. You might want to try them

Will do.  That is exactly what I wanted to do, but Farmers wouldn’t let me. 

47 minutes ago, redstripe said:

Very simple. Call back and tell them he no longer lives with you. 

Does not matter if he does and drives your vehicle he is still insured. 

Just get another person on phone and act like its your first call. 

When his name comes up just tell them he was a temporary roommate that has moved back to jersey. 

My fear is in the invent of a bad accident and he was driving, they could deny coverage after investigation seeing his DL has my address.  I won’t take that chance…unless I am prepared to NEVER let him drive my car.    The only real time it would be necessary is long distance driving….we prefer to take my car….and he is the better driver.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

Maybe they have access to your lease information or something?

I have a friend with a terrible driving record who registers his car at my address to beat the regional transit authority taxes in his area but his doing so has never affected my rates.

As far as insurance companies are concerned you're only roommates, nothing more...

I have no idea how they found out.   Maybe when I got renters insurance for the first time they asked me…I don’t remember?

2 minutes ago, IAG said:

My fear is in the invent of a bad accident and he was driving, they could deny coverage after investigation seeing his DL has my address.  I won’t take that chance…unless I am prepared to NEVER let him drive my car.    The only real time it would be necessary is long distance driving….we prefer to take my car….and he is the better driver.

Just call back get new person. If they bring him up say he was room mate and moved out  . They wont make you sign anything saying he is excluded. 

And even if he does ever get in accident Hes 100 % covered.