BGS 9.5

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, BGS 9.5 said:

WVU, as mentioned earlier I have the financial luxury of having no spousal or dependent types lingering about. Been a CPA for 30 years and don’t want to die at the desk. 

The sale of my home sealed the deal a couple of weeks back. Walked away with a shitload of cash. Not life changing money, but certainly life altering money.

I have a very small side book that I maintain to keep busy and also to write off certain things. I also have avenues for consulting on a very narrow scope part time basis 

you sold your house, but I assume you now have rent?  Do you plan to buy again?

10 hours ago, mikeman said:

There does seem to be a trend of older white males leaving the job market permanently.  Not the best long term sign for the economy.

many silver spoons with inheriance. i will get nothing likely my father wanted it that way he said so many times over 10 years. he made sure, also being drugged up by the state didnt help. love telling a doctor the symptoms of akathisia and they dont even tell you what it is. also telling them you cant stop drinking and they dont tell you why. all that fun stuff. fun times 

2 hours ago, BGS 9.5 said:

Renting for the short term (12 months tops). Will check the market this summer. I’ve got a nice place in Winter Park for now but by no means permanent 

I went to Winter Park High.  Lived near Cady Way just a block from the track.  Spent lots of time running that oval.

1 hour ago, rdalert447 said:

That rent is probably way higher than whatever your mortgage was. Love it over there, though.

Technically Redder I’m in Maitland, but it is really the north end of WP

When I lived downtown I always drove down Park Avenue for fun on the way to work.  Now I walk up and down Park for my exercise.  I remember you saying you went to the Briar Patch for breakfast a while back and it cost like 3 digits for breakfast.  They are lined up outside the door everyday.  

I thought I saw it all when I took my brother and SIL to Another Broken Egg and spent $75 lol 

1 minute ago, WVU said:

Surely you would make a return trip for the festivities.   We can even get Pat McIrish there from Lakeland.

The only posters I ever met were from a get together in Orlando. WVU, I’m not sure you would know them but Bateman for sure does:  Bread, Robyn, Teela and Wallyballs. Actually played golf with Wally earlier that day 

23 minutes ago, BGS 9.5 said:

The only posters I ever met were from a get together in Orlando. WVU, I’m not sure you would know them but Bateman for sure does:  Bread, Robyn, Teela and Wallyballs. Actually played golf with Wally earlier that day 

I remember reading a bit of bread and robin at SBR but no clue about teela and Wallyballs

On 11/28/2022 at 9:10 PM, mikeman said:

How old are you? When i retired 5 yrs ago health ins was the biggest concern - turned out to be a complete non factor, i get great ins(better than i had when working) for virtually nothing because of the tax credits and other factors - income based.

Health insurance also my greatest worry...Have had Obamacare last 12 years or so.but quit job in July and have enough to live on until 62...However without reporting income of 13k or so for year during downtime,how did you do it? Any tips appreciated...Did you sign up with just regular insurance? Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Buster said:

Health insurance also my greatest worry...Have had Obamacare last 12 years or so.but quit job in July and have enough to live on until 62...However without reporting income of 13k or so for year during downtime,how did you do it? Any tips appreciated...Did you sign up with just regular insurance? Thanks!

In mn we have a plan called Mn care, basically if you're poor you get very cheap medical. Even if you're not that poor the affordable care act means you get huge credits to buy coverage - either way I'd pay less than $100/month. The key is it's all based on taxable income - so while I have a lot of money from IRA's and 401K rollovers, much of it is not taxable. This means i can manipulate my income and make sure I'm just poor enough to get the coverage I want.

For instance if I take money out for living expenses from my 401K rollover it's taxable, But from my roth IRA it is not. with proper planning I not only pay little or no taxes but get dirt cheap ins as well.

Then we have the pandemic, which means the idiot govt wasted trillions in various programs, because of that my already low cost monthly ins payment of $60-80 has been waived for the last 2 years, so I'm paying nothing.

As far as the ACA/obamacare us concerned, they have the different tiers of coverage(gold/silver/bronze) ranging from pretty crappy to ok with huge premium differences.  The bottom line is you can make decent money when retired(50-60)k and still get big enough tax credits to get coverage for very little -$100/month.