I’m thinking of trying to market my salsa

housepicks

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been in the food business most my life till I retired last year,have to say starting a food business in this climate isn’t ideal.The cost of your materials are basically going up on a weekly basis.Regardless,I will give you my opinion on how to get your world famous salsa to the masses.

I will assume you have done all your food cost analysis and test marketing,as well as a foolproof recipe.

1) Rent a commissary/ghost kitchen,this is what my tenants have in my old shop.You can rent by the hour/day/weekly or long term.

Biggest disadvantage to this,is you have to produce the product yourself but you have total control of all aspects from start to finish 

2)Co pack company 

Find a co pack company that specializes in sauces and you sign an agreement with them to produce and bottle your salsa.

Although this is a much more expensive way to take your product to market,you don’t have to supply the labour and it’s easier to predict your cost per unit.

Everyone and their brother think they make great salsa and hot sauce that the market wants and needs.  The fact is, they don't.  I know you are also a fan of The Foods That Built America.  The difference is all those entrepreneurs brought something completely different to the market.  Salsa is not new or unique.  It is everywhere.  Something that Pace sells for $2.38 (16 ounces) will likely cost you double or triple to produce, so you would have to sell at a ridiculously high price like $12 for a small jar.   Not sure people will want to spend top dollar on an unknown king salsa product.  Do you plan to grow your own tomatoes, peppers, and spices?  How much do you think it will cost you to produce a 16 ounce jar of the stuff you made?

Pace Chunky Salsa Medium, 16 oz. Jar

13 minutes ago, WVU said:

Everyone and their brother think they make great salsa and hot sauce that the market wants and needs.  The fact is, they don't.  I know you are also a fan of The Foods That Built America.  The difference is all those entrepreneurs brought something completely different to the market.  Salsa is not new or unique.  It is everywhere.  Something that Pace sells for $2.38 (16 ounces) will likely cost you double or triple to produce, so you would have to sell at a ridiculously high price like $12 for a small jar.   Not sure people will want to spend top dollar on an unknown king salsa product.  Do you plan to grow your own tomatoes, peppers, and spices?  How much do you think it will cost you to produce a 16 ounce jar of the stuff you made?

Pace Chunky Salsa Medium, 16 oz. Jar

He needs this pamphlet. :deemer