housepicks

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, WVU said:

But if you aren't using fresh home grown vegetables and spices then what will set you apart from the 1000s of others on the market?  Even the Relish King grew his own product.  Either way, I'll probably buy a case from you if price isn't outrageous.

There are an untold numbers of ways to make salsa. I think mine is the best.

One thing to check will be the PH level. I think the test strips are pretty cheap. I think it's around 4 or below for shelf stable. Maybe less if you are using raw garlic or onion in there. At least you could see where it is at. The co packers that dingo mentioned would help with that too, but may have to add stuff to recipe.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'll send info tonight and would help any if I can. 

1 minute ago, jd_ said:

One thing to check will be the PH level. I think the test strips are pretty cheap. I think it's around 4 or below for shelf stable. Maybe less if you are using raw garlic or onion in there. At least you could see where it is at. The co packers that dingo mentioned would help with that too, but may have to add stuff to recipe.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'll send info tonight and would help any if I can. 

Thanks again, I ran across some ph level stuff last night when I began looking into this

1 hour ago, housepicks said:

I’ll need a year shelf like and produce in summer when tomato prices are low. McDonald’s doesn’t grow their own potato’s I don’t think I need to become a tomato farmer. 

The salsa isn’t exactly thin. I good 15% of the product is gonna be water to get to desired consistency. 

Add xanthan gum to your recipe,it’s a stabilizer and prevents the salsa from separating.

Talk to a produce wholesaler and see if they have cooking tomatoes .

People here run kitchens out of their homes and sell at farmer’s markets etc.,that’s a good way to start but you have to have a business plan to scale up the business otherwise it probably won’t be worthwhile 

good luck

1 minute ago, Dingo said:

Add xanthan gum to your recipe,it’s a stabilizer and prevents the salsa from separating.

People here run kitchens out of their homes and sell at farmer’s markets etc.,that’s a good way to start but you have to have a business plan to scale up the business otherwise it probably won’t be worthwhile 

good luck

I appreciate your tips 

1 minute ago, Dingo said:

good luck

A rare Dingo spotting !  Hope all is well in the retired life ! 

I would look into selling at farmers market to start.  And basically see how it goes. Minimal investment I would assume. You'd basically renting a booth/table whatever. And it would help you get feedback on your product. If you're selling out every weekend and making a decent profit  then you'll know it might be time to take it up a notch. 

1 hour ago, housepicks said:

I’ll need a year shelf like and produce in summer when tomato prices are low. McDonald’s doesn’t grow their own potato’s I don’t think I need to become a tomato farmer. 

The salsa isn’t exactly thin. I good 15% of the product is gonna be water to get to desired consistency. 

Thanks for the tip Bobby Flay :laugh 

33 minutes ago, The X said:

I would look into selling at farmers market to start.  And basically see how it goes. Minimal investment I would assume. You'd basically renting a booth/table whatever. And it would help you get feedback on your product. If you're selling out every weekend and making a decent profit  then you'll know it might be time to take it up a notch. 

Agree 100%

27 minutes ago, Dingo said:

Another way to sell salsa,just make sure you have liability insurance for a food producer.ETSY07B02CA4-9FF0-48BE-A216-DEEA4FF9B637.png

Those prices are crazy. i bought a 24 oz jar today for something like $2.29.  My sister has frequently made home made salsa for various gatherings, she'll talk about how much time she put into making it and how expensive all the ingredients were, no one has the heart to tell her it's pretty bad.