F1 Info Thread

Oh sorry.  I was just reading about why Kimi wrecked.  And poor McLaren.  I'm really annoyed that I couldn't bet Vettel in Practice 2 because it wasn't up when I went to sleep.  Really happy that Rosberg basically wrecked Hamilton.  So now it won't just be one person processionals till the end of the year.

I hate the British Grand Prix and it's Hamilton's home race and he'll be overbet but he always bounces back.  Hungary meh.  Looking forward to Belgian, Italian and Singapore races but that's a month away.  I'll see what happens technically in the next four weeks especially the testing in a couple of days at the RBR.

Been doing some thinking about things after Rosberg's victory.  The narrative that F1 wants (since competition is almost non-existent with Mercedes' ascendance) is that Lewis Hamilton is a once in a generation driver (he's not, maybe Alonso is but he made another dumb downward move by going to McLaren so oh well).  For Mercedes and Ecclestone and the press (dominated by British voices), Rosberg is inferior to Hamilton.  Mercedes obviously endorses this and they favor Hamilton.  Here's the most recent example.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/06/10/2015-canadian-grand-prix-team-radio-transcript/

With all of this and Hamilton dominating in getting pole this season, Rosberg has been under an extreme amount of pressure.  Knowing that he is the second driver on his team he could have caved.  But he didn't.  In the last three races he has done an excellent job and not crumbled to that pressure and proved he is equal to and sometimes better than Hamilton.

Despite the story that the British press want you to hear, Monaco was partly Hamilton's own fault. His mistake today was a rookie mistake.  Hamilton has shown a tendency at times to make mistakes though to the British press it's never because he can't handle the pressure.

There will be a large effort on the part of Mercedes and F1 to have Hamilton win his home grand prix in two weeks but there should be a number of opportunities on that weekend and the races to follow.  The Ferrari threat to Mercedes doesn't look like it's going to materialize so you're left with these two drivers in which one is overvalued and one is undervalued.

Even at Silverstone last year, Rosberg won pole and was leading the race until a gearbox failure.  Again from the article I posted above:

On ultimate pace, there was clearly nothing between the Mercedes drivers. In the 57 track sectors, Hamilton’s best time was quicker in 29 and Rosberg’s was quicker in 28, with a mean advantage of 0.011 seconds to Hamilton. As the cars changed dynamically across a race distance, however, Rosberg looked more fragile and his advantages more transient. Rosberg also made a string of errors in 2014 that looked like poor pressure management, perhaps because this was his first ever championship battle while Hamilton was a seasoned championship veteran. It’s worth remembering that before 2014, Hamilton had 22 wins while Rosberg had only 3 wins.

Despite their contrasting qualities, Hamilton and Rosberg have proven to be two of the closest matched teammates in history. Almost every race between them has been a game of inches.

In a game of inches there should be more chances to get a good price on Rosberg.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm moving so not able to deal with this.

But Rosberg was faster in practice, especially on the softer tires and just consistently faster around the track.  But Hamilton wins pole, partly because of Rosberg's problem with left front tire.  Slightly worried that Rosberg's problem (vibration?) won't be fixed or will return because Mercedes wants Hamilton to win home grand prix but that's maybe a little too paranoid.  Shouldn't rain till an hour after the race but will check an hour or so before.  If it looks like it might will place a small bet on Vettel.

Rosberg is better on this track.  Rosberg and Hamilton are generally even in a race.  Rosberg has momentum.

Rosberg is +230.

Rosberg for 1 unit.

And also I don't think you can really "uncrap" F1 when every year there is one team that always dominates.

And there was rain.  Hamilton got a little lucky.  Rosberg got stuck behind the Williams and I don't know if Mercedes held off his pit stop to help Hamilton but they got what they wanted which was a Hamilton victory.  Hopefully this continues the steam on Hamilton and allows other good spots to bet Rosberg at a good price.  And Jesus, Williams fucked up by not letting Bottas past.

If the rain was crazier then Vettel could have pulled off a miracle.

Think, I'm -.75 but will check.

• 3 weeks later...