All I heard for the last three years was how great this Buxton clown was going to be

sleepy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes 4 games make him a bust.

Every good to great major leaguer started their career off red hot.

Jfc

Were not even talking regular shitty like hitting .220

Guy is twice as bad as that.

Oh but he plays great defense :laugh :laugh :laugh

Should have traded him away when they could have got something for him

Buxton is prob going to be really good, but this was a panic move by the Twins. He's barely played since being drafted for a top prospect is very behind development wise. He wasn't even mashing at AA.

yes he was. he started slow this year; he has been on an absolute tear since then. A 137 wRC is good, and even better when you factor in that his bat is behind his glove and his legs in development. An elite speed guy (I mean fastest player in the league fast) with an 870 OPS is certainly considered mashing.

It's not a panic move at all either; Buxton, even if he's below average offensively this year is better than Hicks and the other bums they were throwing out there. Buxton's defensive and base running impact is more valuable than those guys on it's own.

lol sleepy man i dont think anyone has a weaker understanding for sports than you my man

You realize Trout absolutely sucked the first time he came up also, right? He got called up, played 40 games and had a .671 OPS. That is not good

Next year he came up for his first full season and he had an OPS of .963 and should have won MVP (as well as the year after)

Buxton may be the stud he is hyped to be, he may not be. What we know for sure is what he does this week tells us nothing about that. 

JP Arecibia absolutely mashed for the Jays when he was first called up. He ended up being one of the worst players in MLB 

Will def be some early struggles but seemed like okay timing to get the kid some time in the bigs and see where he is exactly. I am not sure seeing him he is a lock to be the next twins stud player as some have hyped him toward but he has some talent. 

For me, Buxton is one of the safest elite prospects in a long time... not because he's a lock to be great, but because he has 2 very elite and valuable traits, meaning that even if Byron is a bust in terms of expectations with his bat he will be a very productive player for a very long time. See Jason Heyward as an example - but not really a carbon copy tools wise. Heyward has been a bit of a bust with his bat, but he's an elite defender and he's good on the bases; it means Heyward will probably make 70+ million next year without being the elite bat some thought he would be.

Buxton is guaranteed to be an elite glove and elite base runner - he should generate 2-3 WAR a year alone with those tools. Even if he's just a league average hitter that means Lord Byron should sit between 3-4 WAR every year which is very good. That's his FLOOR. That may not meet the expectations of some, and it's certainly not the 5-6+ WAR player he's expected to become but 3-4 WAR is still a 100 million dollar player.

Who brings up a supposed stud prospect and bats him 9th? In a swiss cheese lineup no less. This is why the Twins cant have nice things....they blew it with Mauer and are gonna blow it with Buxton. smh

Takes all the pressure off the kid.

His hit tool is behind his other tools, so no need to put a lot of pressure on his bat out of gate.

Mauer was just a big catcher; they break down more quickly. Hard to say they blew anything with Mauer - the guy had a 9 year stretch where he received MVP votes in 6 of those years. He started to breakdown at 30 years old.... Mauer had a WAR over 4 in 7 of those 9 years, with one year he didn't he had a WAR of 2.9 and the other he was hurt most of the season. Mauer had a great career and it's a shame injuries have derailed it into his 30's.

Bj Upton isn't half the base runner Buxton is. He's also not as good defensively although it's very close.

How did I liken him to either guy? Those guys are fast with no arms and average defense. Buxton might be the best defensive outfielder to step on a baseball field since Andruw Jones.

Because he's fast I guess that means he's Peter bourjas. Haha ok pal.

Buxton has an elite arm, and his speed isn't the sole reason he's an elite defender.

I'm not sure sliding would make the time faster, sliding slows you down

Not when you are going to 3rd, it would easily be faster

Running through first you are faster but thats because you never have to slow down you run through the base. Going to 2nd or 3rd you have to dramatically slow down to stop at the base, sliding gets you there faster