ESPN INSIDER: What do other coaches think of Jim Harbaugh?

Guest boatboatboat

Guest boatboatboat

Since taking over six months ago at Michigan, Jim Harbaugh has undoubtedly made his share of waves in the college football pool. Really, it’s as if he did a cannonball right in the middle of his millionaire peers.

We asked coaches what they thought of Harbaugh’s return to the college game. The responses were all over the place, and Harbaugh received a fair share of support.

Here are 10 things opposing coaches are saying about Michigan’s man.

1. He should keep his shirt on

“I think he’s weird. Some of this is, ‘Bro you’re 50. Stop taking your shirt off at camps.’ I wouldn’t do that, and I’m pretty weird,” a Big Ten assistant said. “But it’s show business, man. Any publicity is good publicity. Any time that winged helmet and his Walmart khakis show up on a 17-year-old’s Twitter account, that’s good for him and good for Michigan.”

2. He’s consistently outspoken

“I have had great respect for Coach Harbaugh for what he built at Stanford and as a man who isn’t afraid to speak his mind,” said Arkansas coach Bret Bielema, who specifically asked to be identified on the record. “Too many people in today’s world love to voice opinions and beliefs when convenient. Few represent who they are and what they believe daily.”

3. He will miss his former OC

“I think he’s nuts. He loves to stir the pot. He’ll have a very short shelf life – but he’s a very good football guy. I will be interested to see how he does there,” a Pac-12 coach said. “[Former 49ers and current Bills offensive coordinator] Greg Roman has always been the brains behind the operation. [Harbaugh] has been at private schools before so I’m interested to see how he does at a public school. There’s a huge difference in how things are handled.”

Can Jim Harbaugh turn around the fortunes of Michigan football? Rick Osentoski/USA TODAY Sports

4. He’s big on change

“I’ve heard he’s really idiosyncratic. He seems almost Rain Man-ish,” a Big Ten assistant said. “Some of the stuff he’s doing, I think it’s good. The brashness is nothing to be ashamed of. He’s trying to change culture, change perception, change everything. The only way to do that is to totally jump way out in front of it and say, ‘This is who we are. This is who I am.’ He’s got to come out and go 1,000 miles an hour and then maybe pull back to 800. He’s setting the tone.”

5. He loves the game, and that’s good for the game

“I like him. I think he’s genuine,” an ACC assistant said. “I just think he truly loves football, wants to promote the game, loves Michigan -- and is a little weird, quirky. I think he’s good for college football. But I don’t like them taking shots at other schools like they did with the Ohio State [assistant] coach last week.”

6. He’s a PR whiz; there’s intent to every action

“I know him or Michigan hired a hell of a PR person to keep him in the media daily. It’s an interesting approach,” a Pac-12 coach said. “I could give two s---- about stuff like that. Personally, I would rather see my kids get the attention. I do love listening to the SEC cry about satellite camps, though.”

7. He hasn’t actually made progress in catching Ohio State

“For all the hype, I don’t think that what he has done in recruiting has closed any of the gap between them and Ohio State,” a Big Ten assistant said. “In fact, I think it has widened.”

8. His teams will be a target in Year 1

“Well, he’s doing a great job of keeping his school in the news and keeping them relevant for recruits during the offseason,” a Big 12 coach said. “It’s all calculated, and it has kept Michigan football in the headlines, which always helps with recruiting. He will get it going there. I mean, teams will try to kill them this year. But he will get it going.”

9. The attention is getting old to some

“I think Jimmy’s great, but I can’t believe how much attention he’s getting,” a Big Ten coach said. “It’s crazy.”

10. Others are steering clear of talking about him

Big 12 head coach: “(laughs) I’m not touching that one with a 10-foot pole. I got my own problems.”

Big Ten head coach: “I’m not interested in getting into that one. Just focused on us.”

ACC head coach: “(laughs) I haven’t kept up with Harbaugh, not sure what all noise he has made. I’m just trying to survive camp.”